Instructional Support 2017-2018 Dean- Elementary
About KIPP NYC:
KIPP NYC is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in the Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible in for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of five elementary schools, five middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Through College, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC currently serves more than 6000 students and alumni, has a staff of more than 700 and a budget of over $98M. At full growth, we will serve nearly 6300 students and alumni.
Our five KIPP NYC elementary schools:
• KIPP Academy Elementary School, South Bronx, founded in 2009: http://www.kippnyc.org/kaes
• KIPP Infinity Elementary School, West Harlem, founded in 2010: http://www.kippnyc.org/kies
• KIPP Washington Heights Elementary School, Washington Heights, founded in 2011: http://www.kippnyc.org/whes
• KIPP AMP Elementary School, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, founded in 2013: http://www.kippnyc.org/ampes
• KIPP STAR Harlem College Prep Elementary School, West Harlem, founded in 2014: http://www.kippnyc.org/ksh
The Dean is responsible for creating a positive, structured, disciplined school culture and for ensuring that students’ learning experiences are exciting and rigorous. The Dean coordinates curriculum and instructional content, coaches teachers, assesses student performance, and coordinates professional development. It is also important that a Dean cultivates productive relationships with all members of the school community, including faculty, students, and families. This position reports directly to the Principal, who provides guidance and sets school policy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Curriculum and Assessment
• Develop and execute high-quality, standards-based school curriculum and instructional content consistent with the philosophy, values, and mission of the school and KIPP NYC.
• Clearly articulate student performance goals for each grade level and work with teachers to set measurable student goals in individual classes.
• Continuously monitor student achievement by analyzing independent work, standardized tests results, and other data points in order to target interventions.
• Attend and facilitate productive content team meetings.
(2) School culture
• Work closely with the leadership team to develop a positive, structured, achievement-oriented, and creative school culture.
• Lead the implementation of values integration and character development within the classroom community.
• Be highly present and visible during school hours, relentlessly ensuring the school has a strong culture.
• Support execution and coordination of cross-school instructional and cultural initiatives.
(3) Student Discipline
• Model positive interactions with students, as well as a variety of ways to handle misbehavior and disruptions (principles of Love and Logic, Lemov techniques, etc).
• Recognize and celebrate exemplary student achievement and behavior, communicating with families of students on a regular basis.
• Reinforce the effective use of a school-wide behavior plan and serve as a point person for discipline and culture issues.
• Assist teachers, students, and parents in the effective creation and implementation of individual behavior plans (in conjunction with the Social Worker/Guidance Counselor).
(4) Teacher coaching and professional development
• Plan, implement, and provide ongoing professional development and feedback to all staff, focusing on building positive student relationships, student culture, and classroom community.
• Support teachers in developing their classroom management and instructional practice (unit and lesson planning, lesson execution, and collection and use of assessment data).
• Conduct classroom observations and follow-up with targeted feedback and support to help teachers become even more effective.
• Complete quarterly, mid-year, and end-of-year teacher performance evaluations.
• Organize summer training and professional development days in coordination with other Deans and the Principal.
• Recognize and celebrate staff professional growth and success.
(5) Operational support
• Participate in teacher recruitment and hiring process, in collaboration with the Principal.
• Teach classes when necessary, for coverage purposes or professional development of teachers.
• Zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
• A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture
• At least five years of full time classroom teaching experience
• At least one year of adult management/teacher coaching
• Model effective and high-quality teaching
• Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under-served students
• Demonstrated success developing academic programs and academic culture
• Demonstrated success planning staff professional development and leading teams of teachers
• An analytical view of student progress towards standards
• Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
• Extreme flexibility to accommodate multiple priorities and a strong work ethic to accommodate high level of responsibilities
How to ApplyTo apply: Submit an application online, http://lnk.kippnyc.org/ESDean1718 KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
64 total views, 1 today