Teacher Computer Science Teacher- High School
Urban Assembly Gateway School for Technology
Computer Science Teacher- High School
- Computer Science Teacher with knowledge of Java & Python (Grade 10-12)
The Urban Assembly Gateway School for Technology is a small school in the Graphics Educational Complex. Our mission is to engage our students through inventive problem-solving that integrates exciting technological innovations and the habits of mind that prepare them for college, careers and life. At UA Gateway, we believe in putting student needs first and consistently seek ways to increase student achievement. We use data to make informed decisions about teaching and learning, and believe in the close monitoring of student progress to track and report student achievement. Through clear and published learning targets, the implementation of the UA Gateway Power Standards, the Common Core and Career and Technology Standards, graduates of UA Gateway will demonstrate mastery over both time-honored educational themes and cutting-edge technology.
We are seeking educators of excellence with a proven track record of collaborative teamwork, literacy instruction, curriculum development, use of technology in the classroom and a commitment to student achievement. Teachers may serve as advisers and make home contact regarding student attendance and behavior, academic progress, and personal development. School staff is encouraged to participate in summer planning and curriculum development. Compensation will be allotted according to the UFT contract and advanced notice will be provided. Staff participation in this activity is voluntary, but strongly encouraged. Our founding partner is the Urban Assembly.
Eligibility Requirements: Possession of a Regular New York City License and New York State Certification in appropriate content area, with satisfactory ratings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Because teacher roles in small schools are varied and complex, first priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience commitment to the technology theme of the school and a willingness to these essential aspects:
- Attaining and maintaining an expert knowledge of their subject area, differentiation, literacy strategies and assessments. Having a willingness and desire to seek/receive ongoing professional development to enhance current practice in any of these areas
- Have an open door policy for all members of the school community
- Developing clear and published learning targets in curriculum. Working with students individually to work on learning targets during our Goal Oriented Learning and Development (GOLD) period (mandated tutoring)
- Working collaboratively with peers to develop common lessons, assessments and interdisciplinary units
- Working with the Urban Assembly staff around all aspect of teaching and learning
- Serving as an advisor to students at least four times per week and attending professional meetings to support this work.
- Building a staff that collaborates and develops an integrated curriculum committed to the technology theme of the school.
- Updating student progress weekly in our online data system for student and parent use
- Developing an individual growth plan in collaboration with the principal that will monitor progress and assess his/her effectiveness in enhancing student achievement.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Evidence of willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities.
- Evidence of working collaboratively to design and implement curriculum that teaches the common core standards and enduring themes/concepts
- Willingness to implement alternative grading systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of developing literacy in the classroom. This includes demonstrated ideas and strategies for students whose reading levels whose reading levels are far below grade level, and/or for whom English is a second or third language.
- Demonstrated use or knowledge of the Key Cognitive Strategies (Habits of Mind)
- Demonstrated experience using technology to reach learning targets
- Demonstrated ability and experience in creating and implementing units and lessons that use performance task assessments to assess student learning
- Demonstrated or willingness to developing an individual growth plan in collaboration with the principal or grade team leader that will monitor progress and assess his/her effectiveness in enhancing student achievement
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, stimulate and challenge students toward achievement of a high level of performance through rigorous academic standards.
- Documented record of excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
In addition to an interview and demo lesson , teacher candidates must present a teaching portfolio, which may include a resume, evidence of philosophy of education, evidence of curriculum planning such as course syllabi and lesson plans and any teaching artifacts collected throughout the teaching career. Teaching artifacts may include student work, images of student work and presentations, and curriculum development examples. Applicants must provide three references.
Application: Please send a cover letter indicating the school and position for which you are applying, a resume, and a copy of your Board of Education Licenses to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Work Schedule and Salary:
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 923, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO
Job Type: Full-time
How to ApplySend resume & cover letter to email@example.com.
70 total views, 1 today