Principal or Vice Principal Elementary School Founding Principal
Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. RePublic made history in 2015 and opened Mississippi’s first charter school, Reimagine Prep. In August 2018, RePublic will again make history by opening Mississippi’s first charter elementary school, serving in its first year students in grades K and 1. We are looking for dynamic, determined Founding Principal to spend a year (2017-18) in residence to lock arms with our network team and community partners to launch a game-changing elementary school in Jackson, Mississippi in August 2018. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
The Principal is the most impactful leadership position at RePublic. Equal parts instructional visionary, strategic mastermind, data-driven decision-maker, people developer, and community builder, the Principal stands at the nexus of the highest-leverage unit of change in a child’s life: the school. The Founding Principal at Smilow Collegiate will be charged with designing, creating, and launching Mississippi’s first charter elementary school. The Founding Principal will work closely with RePublic’s existing schools in Jackson and Nashville, as well as our all-star network team to receive extensive internal and external training during their year in residence (2017-18) as they prepare to launch the school in August 2018.
- The Founding Elementary Principal will prepare the school to launch by:
- Participating in the best in class external training programs designed to hone your lens, design RePublic’s first elementary school model, and prepare you to lead, which in the past have included training through organizations such as Building Excellent Schools and the Relay Graduate School of Education.
- Researching and designing rigorous, Common-Core aligned curriculum that will dramatically accelerate the learning of all Smilow Collegiate students.
- Crafting expansive culture systems that will teach our students critical social-emotional skills, and efficient operational systems to ensure the school runs seamlessly.
- Creating academic systems designed to ensure teachers drive academic outcomes by analyzing student work, responding to data, and differentiating instruction.
- Working with RePublic’s network operations team to ensure the school facility is gleaming and ready to welcome scholars on day one of school.
- Working with RePublic’s talent team to hire Smilow Collegiate’s founding team of teaching and leaders.
- With the support of RePublic’s student recruitment team, engaging with prospective families to inspire them to enroll founding scholars in the school.
- Engaging with community leaders and partners to build excitement, investment, and momentum in Smilow Collegiate and RePublic’s mission.
- The Founding Elementary Principal will drive instruction and create a culture of academic ownership by:
- Setting astronomical goals for student growth and achievement;
- Leading the school-based leadership team and teachers to collectively and individually monitor academic progress of all scholars and analyze student achievement data to drive instructional decisions and change course as needed to ensure transformational academic outcomes;
- Fostering a school-wide culture in which students love learning, are obsessed with reading, think critically, and take ownership over their own academic progress and inquiry; and
- Building strong relationships with families, students, and staff to ensure collective investment in instructional priorities, initiatives, and expectations.
- The Founding Elementary Principal will empower and develop teachers and leaders by:
- Owning all aspects of leading, inspiring, managing, and developing a staff of approximately 15 dynamic, driven, and diverse individuals;
- Setting clear, ambitious, and measurable short and long term goals and priorities for the school that align with RePublic’s mission and values, investing the team in these goals and priorities, and making progress against these known to all teammates;
- Managing and coaching a founding school-based leadership team of approximately 3-4 individuals;
- Leading and facilitating robust school-based professional development weekly that sets staff up to: master the fundamentals of classroom management, backwards-design planning and intellectual preparation, relationship-building and communication with scholars and families, data-driven action planning, and implementation of school wide cultural, academic, operational, and extracurricular systems and initiatives;
- Training and coaching leaders to effectively move individual teacher instructional practice and, subsequently, students’ academic achievement, through high-leverage and consistent observation and feedback cycles; and
- Creating a culture where all staff give and receive feedback fluidly – both positive and constructive – as part of daily practice to move the entire school forward.
- The Founding Elementary Principal will manage the school’s growth and expansion by:
- Recruiting, selecting, and hiring top talent from across the nation to teach, lead, and support the mission and vision of the school;
- Managing the leadership team to develop culture and operational systems that create a school environment where scholars feel safe, able to take social and academic risks, and excited to come to school each day;
- Leading the school team to build deep relationships with families and scholars such that key stakeholders are inspired to remain with Smilow Collegiate, and committed to persisting through challenges to produce scholars that are bound for success in college and in life;
- Overseeing the growth of the school (facilities as well as the academic and extracurricular program) as it expands to full growth over four years;
- Serving as a liaison to the broader Mississippi (and national) educational community to champion the work RePublic is doing and build a network of supporters committed to seeing our scholars succeed; and
- Ensuring compliance of Smilow Collegiate with the full scope of federal and state regulatory requirements.
Who You Are
Our Founding Elementary Principal has an unwavering belief that our students can achieve at an exceptionally high level. Beyond that, you are:
- A serial optimist. You’ve got a deep, personal commitment to the mission of RePublic Schools, and a genuine belief that all students can achieve academic excellence, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. You’ve got a “healthy rage” about the state of public education in the South – and you want to be a part of a team that is doing something about it every single day.
- A proven school leader, and a driver of results. You’ve demonstrated ability to drive results in the pursuit of an ambitious vision and strategy, and you combine your exceptional strategic, analytical, and critical-thinking skills with your penchant to use data to drive decision-making to achieve impressive outcomes. You’ve got a background in instructional excellence, and leadership, and have both achieved your own impressive results in the classroom and have moved other teachers and leaders to do the same.
- A people developer. You’ve led, directly managed, and coached teams and individuals to achieve wildly impressive results for scholars. You love and actively seek opportunities to develop others through ongoing coaching, clear expectations and accountability, strong inspirational and motivational skills, high leverage feedback, and targeted professional development.
- A systems builder. You’re comfortable with ambiguity, and thrive in situations where you get to build something out of nothing, or create order out of chaos. You choose start-up over bureaucracy any day.
- An organizational mastermind. You appreciate big picture, but you know it’s all in the details. You manage projects fluidly, fiercely prioritize, and track timelines, data, and information in an organized and systematic fashion. When you say you’ll follow up with someone, you do it – and you are known as someone who doesn’t drop balls.
- An entrepreneurial learner. You are a self-directed go-getter. You take initiative, generate ideas/solutions to problems, operate with a growth mindset, and seek opportunities for feedback.
- A strong communicator. You’ve got a knack for speaking and writing clearly, succinctly and persuasively such that expectations are clear, timelines are delineated, and excellence is defined. People would describe you as someone who is able to build relationships across lines of difference that allow you to motivate and inspire from a place of authenticity.
- Bachelor’s degree with a preference for a graduate degree in a related field
- Deeply convicted by RePublic’s mission, values, and educational model
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.
How to ApplyTo Apply
- Interested? To apply for this position, please submit a resume and an optional cover letter:http://republiccharterschools.org/careers
- Questions? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
90 total views, 1 today