Teacher High School Coding Instructor 2017-18
Start date: July 2017
Location: Harlem, New York
Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. Based in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
Constant Learning for Teachers
We give our faculty access to the most accomplished master teachers and the most sophisticated professional learning opportunities in the country. We’re learning every day, meeting frequently to discuss our instruction, reflect on our lessons and improve our pedagogy. We’re passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students.
Who We’re Looking For
Our teachers are smart, passionate educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who inspire students to love learning, and who play very well with others.
· Build HVA High’s computer science and coding program aligned with HVA’s core values and progressive philosophy
· Plan and teach highly engaging, foundational computer science skills involving coding and programming, culminating in multiple high-quality projects each year
· Use online resources (such as Scratch, minecraft, gamester mechanic) to teach programming
· Build foundational technology literacy skills for students
· Employ a blend of both direct instruction and collaborative, constructivist approaches to meet the needs of all learners
· Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, department meetings, grade level meetings and other learning work
· Build strong, lasting relationships with students
· Establish and uphold classroom expectations that support students to develop increased agency, responsible autonomy and ownership over learning
· Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student achievement
· Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
· Contribute to the school community by attending school events, leading a club, reading group, athletic team, or other initiative
· Minimum two years of full-time computer science and/or related teaching experience, preferably in an urban school
· Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
· Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
· Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a warm, strict, orderly classroom environment
· A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
· A belief that all students can learn at a high level and should be held to high standards
· The ability to work effectively with colleagues as a positive, professional member of a team
How to ApplyHow to Apply First, learn about us! Review our website (www.harlemvillageacademies.org) and consider whether Harlem Village Academies is the place for you. If it is, apply through the Careers section of our website (https://harlemvillageacademies.secure.force.com/careers). Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
58 total views, 1 today