Research and Policy Lead Product Developer
Founded in 2011, America Achieves is a nonprofit organization helping young people get the education and preparation needed to succeed and lead in a changing world. America Achieves has realized the necessity of addressing the changing economy and the implications for the education system, and believes that we must better align our educational and skill development systems to prepare people from every background and community in the United States for good jobs and careers in this rapidly changing economy. Our goal is to develop innovative proof points and build a systemic movement of cities, regions, states, and institutions that are preparing citizens for the future economy by aligning their efforts in K-12, higher education, workforce training, and jobs.
The Louisiana Educator Voice Fellowship
The Educator Voice Fellowship, an initiative within America Achieves, equips top teachers and principals to tap their classroom and school expertise to have an effective seat at the table and be co-architects of state and local education policy. Having built a national program as well as statewide programs in Colorado, Michigan, New York, and Tennessee, the Fellowship is expanding to Louisiana in 2017 in partnership with the Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE). Between September 2017 and December 2018, the 16-month Louisiana Educator Voice Fellowship will expose educators from around the state to the changing set of skills that students need to be successful in future jobs.
The Lead Product Developer will engage leading educators along with industry and government leaders to create a new set of career readiness curricular materials. Our goal with LDOE is to produce a course that will expose all Louisiana students to career opportunities through inquiry and authentic work experiences, inspire them to build the foundation for their career and life success in high school, and help them build high-demand, transferrable workplace skills such as collaboration, creativity, and communication.
By leading the team of educators, government stakeholders, and industry leaders that develops a new career education course, the Lead Product Developer will have the opportunity to make an enormous impact for students and educators across the state. The ideal candidate for this position is an excellent communicator, is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, possesses a dynamic skillset, has subject matter expertise in career readiness, can leverage and apply new technologies in school settings, and is energized by the prospect of developing new curricular resources.
- Lead product development, including writing and publishing, for a new, outside-the-box 21st Century career education course that is grounded in project-based, experiential learning and aligned with 21st Century workforce needs
- Lead the development of an instructor training program for the career education course
- Manage virtual and in-person co-development of projects with leading career education practitioners as well as industry and government stakeholders. Projects include: landscape analysis of existing career education resources, recommendations on the ideal career education course for Louisiana students, review of drafted career education course materials, instructor training materials, policy recommendations, and course evaluation
- Support the Louisiana course review process with partners at LDOE
- Facilitate meetings between educators, state officials, industry leaders, and other stakeholders
- Support the delivery of learning experiences (site visits, seminars, and webinars) for Fellows
- Support distribution to schools and districts of course materials and instructor training
- Support program evaluation by collecting quantitative and qualitative data
- Subject matter expertise on career education and 21st century skills
- Knowledge of pedagogical best practices for experiential and work-based learning
- Ability to leverage and apply new technologies in public school settings
- Experience creating career education curricular and instructional materials (preferred)
- Passion for engaging with educators
- Ability to iterate around strategy and execute on plans with fidelity
- Project management experience
- Experience working in public schools
- Experience working in the private sector
- Experience managing a team and leading staff to meet ambitious goals
- Experience leading trainings for adults and knowledge of adult learning best practices
Skills and Characteristics
- Comfort in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong facilitation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build authentic, long-sustaining partnerships with external organizations
- Ability to navigate the regional political landscape and create opportunity therein
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and time management skills
- Ability to work autonomously in a remote workspace and deliver results
- Ability to travel (up to 25%)
- Ability to use Excel, Google Drive, and project management software such as Slack or Asana
Reporting and Location
The Lead Product Developer will report to the Senior Director of Educator Voice Fellowships. The location is flexible, but the work will be heavily involved in Louisiana.
How to ApplyTo Apply Please send your cover letter and resume, or any inquiries, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
69 total views, 1 today