Marketing and Communications Literacy Specialist
LEE & LOW BOOKS is the largest children’s book publisher specializing in diversity and multiculturalism. We have established ourselves as an elite publisher whose catalog of 800+ books are well loved and respected by educators, librarians, booksellers, parents, and children throughout the US and around the globe.
We are looking for a talented individual to engage with our literacy partners, schools, and educators and contribute to the growth of our business. The position presents an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and to enable educators and literacy partners to discover best strategies for using LEE & LOW titles in the classroom and curriculum.
Candidates must possess a desire to learn about the Education Market for children’s books (from beginning readers through young adult books) and a willingness to become familiar with modern pedagogy and teaching strategies, industry terminology, and current trends. This will be accomplished through in-house training, field experience, and ongoing professional development.
This is a full-time, in-house position. The Literacy Specialist will report to the Director of Curriculum & Literacy Strategy.
- Lead and create research-based educational resources that clarify, strengthen, and enhance book effectiveness
- Oversee the distribution of educational resources
- Manage and maintain multiple leveling systems for books
- Support authors, illustrators, award committees, distributors, and literacy partners on utilizing in-house educational content
- Assist Director of Curriculum & Literacy Strategy in identifying education market needs and trends and providing insight as to how we can help serve the needs of educators
- Support Marketing team on investigating and engaging influential teachers, professional teaching organizations, and academic institutions to promote our education materials, managing those relationships, and exchanging best practices with the goal of promoting our books
- Engage and cultivate teacher partnerships through conferences, presentations, social media platforms (blogs, Twitter, educator-networking websites), and professional development webinar opportunities
- Provide knowledge of education and pedagogy trends to Sales and Editorial teams to show the educational applications of our books and their uses in the classroom
- Advise the Marketing team on constructing the company website with an education-focus and teacher-voice
- The ideal candidate is an energetic, creative, inquisitive self-starter with exceptional organizational, analytical, and creative thinking skills
- Knowledge of current, effective K–6 practices in teaching, learning, and curriculum design
- Experience creating lessons and materials for diverse populations, including culturally diverse, ELL and ENL, and special needs
- 4-year college degree
- 2+ years of experience as a classroom teacher
- 1+ years of experience in instructional design, learning design, or curriculum design at an educational technology company, educational publishing company, or educational products company
- Strong interpersonal skills with eagerness to connect with educators and literacy partners
- Excellent writing abilities
- Polished, professional presentation skills
- The ability to prioritize multiple assignments
Desired Additional Skills:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Literacy Coaching, Staff Development, Teaching experience
- Bachelor or Masters degree focused on Education
Our office is conveniently located in New York City near Madison Square Park.
Competitive salary along with bonus. Company benefits package includes health coverage (including prescription drug coverage), 401K plan, and generous vacation policy.
How to ApplyTo apply: Email a PDF of resume, cover letter, and writing sample (lesson plan or unit plan) to careers AT leeandlow.com, or send materials via fax to (212) 683-1894
586 total views, 1 today