Teacher Middle School Teaching Positions
Position: Teacher Grades 6, 7, 8
Start Date: August 1st, 2017
Our Model and Values:
At Compass Academy, we believe that all students can succeed and become lifelong Learners and Leaders. Launched in August of 2015, Compass will be adding one grade level per year to ultimately serve 750 students in Grades 6-12. Our teachers and students will benefit from ongoing support from City Year and the Center for Social Organization of Schools at Johns Hopkins University, including a team of City Year AmeriCorps Members who serve as tutors and mentors. Most importantly, we have a team of talented and energetic educators and leaders who live out our values every day and who are excited to build an extraordinary school. Our model brings together an innovative use of extended time and human capital, an environment rich in technology and driven by data, and proven best practices for personalized learning and student growth.
Compass Academy is seeking teachers for the 2017-18 academic school year. These teachers will join an experienced team of educators to help develop the academic and cultural foundation of an extraordinary school. In their daily practice, Compass Academy teachers develop and implement a curriculum that meets all students’ needs, cultivate a culture that encourages our young learners and leaders, and leverage data and evidence-based teaching practices to ensure student success.
What a Compass Teacher Does
Our teachers are outstanding facilitators of instruction and . . .
● Plan and implement curriculum, assessments, and evidence-based teaching practices designed to inspire and support Compass Academy’s diverse student body
● Craft powerful intervention and extension small group seminars to support student needs and pique student curiosity
● Measurably improve student academic performance and support their growth as Learners & Leaders
Our teachers build and sustain a culture of high expectations and . . .
● Model Compass Academy core values and enforce school policies and expectations
● Establish purposeful classroom routines and implement school cultural elements to create an effective and encouraging learning environment and students to take responsibility for their actions, learning, and shared space
● Implement effective classroom management practices using a Restorative Practice lens and communicate and collaborate with school team when behavioral issues arise
Our teachers are savvy with data and . . .
● Analyze student assessment data and track early warning indicators to monitor student progress, inform instruction and develop targeted interventions and supports
● Lead students to analyze and reflect on their own progress by providing constructive feedback based on both academic measures and individualized Learner & Leader Plans
Our teachers are leaders in and out of their classrooms and . . .
● Collaborate with other teachers, curriculum specialists, and City Year AmeriCorps Members in weekly planning sessions to ensure instruction is meeting all students’ needs
● Constantly refine their skills through coaching, professional development, and opportunities to build their practice
● Build relationships with families to solicit their input and to communicate students’ academic and social-emotional progress
An Ideal Candidate for a Compass Teacher likely has:
● At least two years of experience teaching in a diverse middle school classroom
● Experience with Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Students, preferred
● Experience working with Complex Learners, preferred
● Comprehensive knowledge of content area and ability to effectively implement a variety of curriculum to enhance student learning
● Proven track-record of raising student achievement & holding students to high expectations
● Experience using data to collaborate and support student performance
● Commitment to growth and reflection through coaching and professional development
● Communication and relationship-building skills with experience cultivating strong connections with students, families, and community stakeholders
● Ability to work in a team, with a do-what-it-takes attitude, strong work ethic and organizational skills, and great sense of humor
● Belief in Compass’ mission and vision including the belief that all children can succeed in school, college, career and life
Additionally, a top candidate also has:
● Experience using multi-tiered student support systems, early warning systems, and developing the culture and climate in a high functioning urban school (preferred)
● Proficient or fluent in Spanish and interest in working in a school that prioritizes bilingual and biliterate education (preferred)
● Experience in a progressive or start-up charter school environment (preferred)
What We Offer:
● Competitive compensation package and generous & innovative benefits
● Excellent professional development and coaching
● Additional in-classroom support from trained City Year AmeriCorps Members
● Dedicated time for both independent and collaborative planning
Compass Academy is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This position will begin August 1st, 2017.
How to ApplyTo Apply please visit our hiring website: https://compassacademy.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
562 total views, 9 today