Operations Part-Time Bookkeeper
Chalkbeat, the nonprofit news organization covering educational change efforts, is seeking a Part-Time Bookkeeper to assist with Chalkbeat’s day-to-day financial operations in accordance with standard accounting procedures. The Part-Time Bookkeeper reports directly to Chalkbeat’s Finance Manager.
Here’s what you’ll be responsible for:
- Assist with general accounting functions such as processing invoices, cash receipts and accounts payable
- Process accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP and Chalkbeat accounting policies and procedures
- Code and record accounting transactions using Intacct
- Maintain electronic filing system for accounting back-up documentation
- Assist with annual audit process and tax preparation
- Reconcile banking transactions to employee expense reports and follow-up with staff about missed receipts
- Assist with annual budget construction and related ad hoc analysis
- Back-up the Operations Associate role as needed
What qualifications we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- One or more years of bookkeeping experience required
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred; ideally experience at an organization with multiple sites or cost centers
- Knowledge of Intacct (a plus) or other accounting software (a must)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting and audit support
- Superior attention to detail, with excellent analytical skills
- Ability to follow policies and procedures
- Interpersonal skills for building relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Comfort working in a virtual environment, commitment to maintaining efficient, effective systems for a growing organization, and a view of finance as a positive support to our mission, not a bureaucratic obstacle to serving the needs of our team.
- Passion for our mission a plus
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We’re in five locations — Colorado, Detroit, Indiana, New York, and Tennessee — and growing. Read more about our mission and values.
This is a Part-Time position, estimated at 10-15 hours per week, with the potential to increase hours as Chalkbeat grows. For Part-Time positions, Chalkbeat offers competitive pay, PTO and a paid winter recess. This position will be based in our New York City office. This is a non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay.
How to ApplyPlease send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Part-Time Bookkeeper” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.
342 total views, 1 today