Instructional Support 9th Grade Success Coach
Are you interested in helping school leaders be more effective as they seek to increase high school graduation rates? Are you ready to put your facilitation and communication skills to use as part of a team that coaches teachers and school administrators on using data to create positive changes for students? Are you open to learning new skills in the areas of data analysis, leadership coaching, and professional development? As a PAI 9th Grade Success Coach these will be key roles you will play as we partner with school leaders to increase the 9th Grade On-Track rate in order to increase high school graduation rates and long-term student success.
Who We Are: Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is a 51-year-old non-profit whose mission is to design and implement industry informed, career-connected learning strategies and school supports that position young people for success in post-secondary education and the workforce. We envision a world where all young people have the skills, resources, and networks to reach their full potential.
Position: 9th Grade Success Coach (Full-Time)
The 9th Grade Success Coach is responsible for providing coaching and technical assistance to partner schools in data utilization and intervention planning strategies, as well as implementing supportive practices for 9th grade students. The 9th Grade Success Coach works as part of a team of professionals, and reports to the Associate Director of Data Supports and Evaluation.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience working in public schools and coaching/facilitating small groups; be willing to learn new technical and professional skills; have experience with Microsoft Excel, tracking and monitoring systems, and data-driven decision making; have strong written and interpersonal communications skills; and have a desire to improve the educational experience of teachers and students in Philadelphia.
This is an excellent opportunity for a passionate professional who is interested in expanding their skill base while supporting students and teachers through coaching and technical assistance in the areas of easing the transition to high school, keeping students on-track for graduation, and continuous improvement methodologies.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Coach 9th Grade Assistant Principals at 4-5 high schools in the School District of Philadelphia on data utilization strategies, effective team meetings, protocols, intervention tracking and monitoring systems, building distributed leadership, and accountability in order to promote 9th Grade On-Track rates
- Guide school leaders in looking at data dashboards and analyzing trend data in order to impact their thinking and planning; help leaders translate and communicate relevant data trends to their teams in a succinct way
- Assist with planning and executing school-level professional development sessions and Network-level Community of Practice meetings for school leaders
- Assist with planning and executing two-day Orientation for New Schools, two-day Summer Summit for full 9th Grade Success Network, and one-day Winter Retreat
- Design and manage work plans for each individual school, in collaboration with each school’s leadership team
- Engage school leaders in regular reflection, practice analysis, and planning
- Attend all assigned schools’ weekly 9th Grade Team meetings and offer support, suggestions, and coaching during and/or after meetings
- Collect “best practices” from schools for Network-wide sharing and help assigned schools integrate best practices from other schools
- Document and track school progress toward their goals, including completing in-depth quarterly reports
- Collaborate with partners from the School District of Philadelphia and UChicago’s To&Through Project in order to advance adaptation of best practices for 9th graders across Philadelphia
- Participation in all PAI signature events and fundraisers, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Additional Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, required
- Coaching/professional development experience preferred
- Experience working with teachers and/or administrators to achieve specific goals preferred
- Experience working in public high schools strongly preferred
- Passion for racial equity and commitment to applying an equity lens to all that you do
- Great attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability for public speaking, as well as leading small/large group presentations
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to analyze and respond to problems, and communicate potential solutions in an approachable way
- Able to work well both independently and in a team, with strong collaboration skills
- Experience with Continuous Improvement methodologies is a bonus
- Access to reliable transportation or a high comfort level using Philadelphia Public Transit a must.
Salary Range: $50,000-52,000, with full benefits package including but not limited to Health, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off and 401K.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements, a resume and three professional references to Cheryl Lafferty, Senior Program Director: email@example.com.
NOTE: Applicants MUST submit a cover letter with salary requirements to be considered. Please, NO phone calls and NO walk-ins.