Instructional Support 9th Grade Success & Data Coach
Are you interested in supporting Assistant Principals and ninth grade teacher teams in working effectively to use data to help ninth graders be successful? Are you a problem-solver who is also strong at building relationships and passionate about increasing outcomes for Philadelphia students? Are you open to learning new skills in the areas of data analysis, leadership coaching, and professional development? Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is looking for a passionate professional to serve in these roles as we partner with school leaders to increase 9th Grade On-Track rates in order to increase high school graduation rates and long-term student success.
Who We Are: Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is a 52-year-old non-profit whose mission is to alleviate poverty by creating opportunities for underserved students to thrive. By partnering with schools on one hand and Industry and Post-Secondary Institutions on the other, we accomplish our mission by providing career-connected educational programming for middle- and high-school students, capacity building for teachers and school leaders, and industry organizing – all in support of student success.
Position: 9th Grade Success & Data Coach (Full-Time)
The 9th Grade Success & Data Coach is responsible for providing coaching and technical assistance to 4 – 5 partner schools in our 9th Grade Success Network, a network of over a dozen School District of Philadelphia high schools committed to improving their practices in support of ninth graders and increasing 9th Grade On-Track rates. The 9th Grade Success & Data Coach supports these schools with data utilization and intervention planning strategies, as well as implementing supportive practices for 9th grade students. The 9th Grade Success & Data Coach works as part of a team of professionals and reports to the Associate Director of Data Supports and Evaluation.
Effective October 29, 2021 Philadelphia Academies, Inc. requires all employees to be fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience working in public schools and facilitating teacher meetings or professional development sessions; have experience with Microsoft Excel, tracking and monitoring systems, and data-driven decision making; and have strong written and interpersonal communications skills.
This is an excellent opportunity for a passionate professional who is interested in expanding their skill base while supporting students and teachers through coaching and technical assistance in the areas of easing the transition to high school, keeping students on-track for graduation, and continuous improvement methodologies.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Coach 9th Grade Assistant Principals at 4-5 high schools in the School District of Philadelphia via weekly coaching meetings centered on data utilization strategies, effective team meetings, protocols, intervention tracking and monitoring systems, building distributed leadership, and accountability in order to promote 9th Grade On-Track rates
• Guide school leaders in looking at data dashboards and analyzing trend data in order to impact their thinking and planning; help leaders translate and communicate relevant data trends to their teams in a succinct way
• Assist with planning and executing school-level professional development sessions and Network-level Community of Practice meetings for school leaders and teachers
• Assist with planning and executing the two-day Summer Summit and one-day Winter Retreat for the 9th Grade Success Network schools
• Lead quarterly data review and practice reflection meetings with assigned schools’ Assistant Principal and Principal
• Attend all assigned schools’ weekly 9th Grade Team meetings and offer support, suggestions, and coaching during and/or after meetings
• Collect “best practices” from schools for Network-wide sharing and help assigned schools integrate best practices from other schools
• Engage school leaders in regular reflection, practice analysis, and planning
• Document and track school progress toward their goals, including writing in-depth quarterly reports
• Collaborate with partners from the School District of Philadelphia and University of Chicago’s To&Through Project in order to advance adaptation of data tools and best practices for 9th graders across the School District of Philadelphia
• Participation in all PAI signature events and fundraisers, as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Additional Qualifications and Required Skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Coaching and/or professional development experience preferred
• Classroom or teaching experience preferred
• Experience working with teachers and/or administrators to achieve specific goals preferred
• Experience working in public high schools strongly preferred
• Passion for racial equity and commitment to applying an equity lens to your work
• Strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability for public speaking, as well as leading/facilitating meetings or trainings
• Organization and time management
• Strong interpersonal communication and relationship building skills
• Ability to analyze and respond to problems and communicate potential solutions in an approachable way
• Able to work well both independently and in a team, with strong collaboration skills
• Experience with Continuous Improvement methodologies is a bonus
• Access to reliable transportation or a high comfort level using Philadelphia Public Transit a must, as well as comfortability in visiting schools in-person on a regular basis.
Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000, with full benefits package including but not limited to Health, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off and 401K.