Operations Administrative Assistant – NYS-TEACHS
Advocates for Children of New York, Inc. (AFC) is a dynamic not-for-profit organization focused on high-quality education for New York students who face barriers to academic success. AFC works on behalf of children and youth who are at greatest risk of academic failure due to poverty, race, ethnicity, disability, homelessness, immigration status/limited English proficiency, or involvement in the child welfare or juvenile justice systems. We use uniquely integrated strategies to advance systemic reform, empower families and communities, and advocate for the educational rights of individual students.
The New York State Technical and Education Assistance Center for Homeless Students (AFC’s NYS-TEACHS project) focuses on the educational rights of students experiencing homelessness, and is a project funded by the New York State Education Department. NYS-TEACHS provides information, resources, trainings, and support to school districts, parents, social service providers, and other professionals to ensure that children and youth experiencing homelessness can succeed in school.
AFC seeks a full-time Administrative Assistant for the NYS-TEACHS project to complete our team of seven (including the Administrative Assistant). The Administrative Assistant will support all facets of NYS-TEACHS’ operations, especially those related to outreach and data management. The Administrative Assistant has a pivotal role in ensuring that our work reaches key contacts who work with students experiencing homelessness. As a team we value growth and learning with regard to how we can better serve marginalized communities. As a result of staff efforts, we regularly engage in conversations regarding race and equity as they impact our external work as well as our internal experiences in the workplace.
Please see below for a more detailed description of the job responsibilities.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following activities, which are followed by approximate time spent in each activity. Note that some aspects of the work are seasonal, so percentages reflect time spent over the course of a year.
- updating training and contact information in our SalesForce database (35%);
- assisting with organizing our trainings and workshops (scheduling, copying and assembling handouts, serving as point-person for questions, etc.) (20%);
- tracking and preparing mailings of outreach and training materials (10%);
- communicating with school districts, service providers, and families about the educational rights of students experiencing homelessness through the NYS-TEACHS hotline and making follow-up calls (10%);
- conducting outreach via email and phone for our trainings (5%);
- creating and running reports, and exporting and interpreting data from our SalesForce database (5%);
- simple data analysis using Microsoft Excel (5%);
- updating our website (5%); and
- editing and updating our outreach materials using Publisher and InDesign (5%).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel a must. Experience working with Adobe Suite, especially InDesign, databases (e.g., SalesForce), and bulk email platforms preferred.
- College graduate preferred.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Ideal candidate should be:
- able to work effectively in a busy environment,
- able to keep meticulous records,
- able to manage projects start to finish,
- able to learn new programs quickly,
- good at time management, and
- comfortable interacting with other professionals on the phone and in writing.
The salary depends on experience. In addition to a competitive salary, AFC also offers generous benefits.
Expected Start Date
Position is available immediately.
AFC is an affirmative action employer that actively encourages applications from a broad spectrum of people, including people of color, with disabilities, and of diverse religions, national origins, gender identities, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds.
How to ApplyPlease email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Candidates should include information in their cover letter about why they are interested in the Administrative Assistant position at NYS-TEACHS and are encouraged to highlight personal or professional experience that demonstrates their connection to the populations that AFC serves.
338 total views, 1 today