Research and Policy Advocacy & Organizing Manager
Swipe Out Hunger is a nonprofit based in Los Angeles that partners with universities nationwide to end student hunger. The organization provides both innovative and common sense solutions to food insecurity on college campuses. Swipe Out Hunger’s flagship program allows college students to donate their extra meal credits to support food insecure students on campus. The organization has been called a “Champion of Change” by President Obama and its CEO was recognized on Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list for the program’s innovative work. Today, Swipe Out Hunger operates on more than 100 campuses across 37 states and has served 1.8 million meals.
The Advocacy & Organizing Manager would be the second hire for Swipe Out Hunger’s burgeoning Research & Development (R&D) Lab. The R&D Lab launched in Fall 2019, growing the organization’s work into advocacy and innovative solutions beyond our flagship “Swipe Drive” program.
The Advocacy & Organizing Manager would join a driven and collaborative team at a critical time for the organization. We’re seeking someone to be on the ground with our New York campus communities, specifically at the CUNYs, while also working collaboratively at the national level to expand our programs. The Manager would : 1) support and work collaboratively with student leaders as you create and lead advocacy campaigns focused on campus, local, and national solutions, and 2) collaborate to source and grow innovative programmatic solutions across the country. The Manager will work remotely and will report to and work closely with the Chief Strategy Officer.
Job Responsibilities Include:
– Develop resources focused on how students can engage in advocacy on campus and beyond
– Collaborate and coordinate closely with the campus leadership
– Provide students one-on-one coaching and support to develop advocacy goals (e.g. increased SNAP access on campus, innovative and sustainable programs that reallocate resources to food security on campus, regional political advocacy around bills to fund higher ed basic needs)
– Manage and host learning opportunities, including training and webinars with shareouts, troubleshooting, and special guests specialized in advocacy work in higher education (e.g. congressional staffers, advocacy organization representatives, student leaders who have led successful campaigns)
Campus Organizing + Program Implementation
– Identify pathways for campus community to reduce hunger on campus in a sustainable way, stemming from programmatic best practices
– Build taskforce of campus students and stakeholders to share context, design solutions, and launch implementation
– Develop reports of best practices that will be studied, developed, and proliferated nationally
– Evaluate and iterate programmatic solutions
– Build out toolkits, best practices, and briefs based on work on the ground
– Identify and develop relationships on behalf of Swipe Out Hunger as the organization’s New York City representative
– Supporting the mission and day-to-day execution of what needs to move the organization forward. As a start-up, the team is “all hands on deck,” doing whatever is necessary to meet the goals.
The Ideal Candidate:
– Bachelor’s Degree is required
– 1-3 years of organizing or advocacy experience
– Experience designing campaigns and gaining community support
– Outstanding relationship skills– you naturally build relationships with people
– Resilient and undeterred by rejection
– You’re a self-starter and are comfortable with working remotely as part of a bigger dynamic team
– A team player who is willing to do what it takes– no job too small or big
– Experience organizing college students is a plus
– Past involvement in education or food equity work is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Full time position. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Work with an engaged, upbeat and collaborative team. Be mentored by a leading national social entrepreneur.
Hours are flexible. Unlimited vacation and PTO. We work hard and encourage a balanced lifestyle. We offer health insurance reimbursements.
Swipe Out Hunger proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org titled: “First Name Last Name – Advocacy & Organizing Manager” so, “Michael Jordan – Advocacy & Organizing Manager”. Please include: – Resume or CV – A 100-200 word blurb on who you are and why you’re excited about his position.
Following initial review, select applicants will be invited to interview. References will be requested following a successful interview.