Teacher 5th-8th Grade Math & Science Apprentice Teacher
Wissahickon Charter School is seeking Apprentice Teachers for 5th through 8th grade to start immediately. The Apprentice Teacher position is a wonderful opportunity for recent graduates or career changers who are looking for a pathway into the teaching profession. Candidates currently enrolled in or recently graduated from teacher education programs are strongly encouraged to apply. This position provides invaluable classroom experience and professional development. Experience as an Apprentice Teacher for one to two years is great preparation for becoming a lead teacher in the future.
- Plan collaboratively with two teachers
- Provide one-on-one and small group instruction to students for additional academic support
- Substitute teach when a lead teacher in assigned grade band(s) is out and for grade band specialists.
- Partner with lead teachers to implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Work closely with lead teachers to assess, track and analyze student progress
- Lead a teaching elective, special, and/or study hall
- As instructional skills gradually increase, may be responsible for providing whole group instruction to students in select subjects
- Participate in on-going professional development
- Complete administrative duties as necessary (data entry, homework review, filing, copying, etc.)
- Support intake, dismissal and transitions between classes
- Assist lead teachers and/or the Principals with other responsibilities as requested
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience working with students in the relevant grade range, in an urban school setting preferred
- Reflective and open to feedback and coaching
- Ability to work with a variety of colleagues who have diverse teaching and organizational styles
- All required FBI & PA clearances
- A commitment to honest and open dialogue about race, equity and bias in our school systems and relationships
- Interest in the mission of Wissahickon Charter School, and a belief that all children can learn
This is a full time, 10-month position with a salary of $40,000 plus 100% employer-paid benefits (medical, dental and vision) for the employee and any spouse or dependents.
About Wissahickon Charter School
Wissahickon Charter School’s first campus, Fernhill, opened in 2002 and serves 480 K-8 students from across Philadelphia. Our second K-8 campus, Awbury, opened in the fall of 2014. The mission of Wissahickon Charter School (WCS) is to provide a community of learning that stimulates and builds the child’s intellectual, social, and character development. Wissahickon Charter Schools are planned around three essential elements: an environmental focus that allows students to experience the curriculum, recognition of service learning projects as key in students’ success, and an emphasis on parents as partners in the learning experiences of their children.