Principal or Vice Principal Assistant Principal of Instruction – High School
Assistant Principal of Instruction
Being a leader at University Prep Charter High School (UPCHS) is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary individual to play a central part in growing and shaping our high-performing public charter school, and to commit to helping students achieve academic excellence. UPCHS administrators are the academic and cultural leaders of our school. We seek an Assistant Principal who is passionate about achieving our school’s academic and organizational goals, who will develop impactful relationships, and who will build and maintain a strong presence within our community.
The mission of University Prep Charter High School is to prepare students for success in college, leadership and life. We achieve this mission by creating a student-centered environment that unifies the efforts of families, communities, and schools to foster life-long learning, cross-cultural competency, social responsibility, and academic excellence. The underlying belief at UPCHS is that all students can go to college. The preparation of students for the college of their choice is our professional responsibility and moral obligation.
UPCHS is a free, public, 9-12, college-preparatory school serving 430 students in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx. The majority of UPCHS students live in the neighborhood and qualify for free lunch. We are proud of our 99% graduation rate, 100% college acceptance rate, and a 98% parent approval rating. Working at University Prep is a distinct and rewarding experience as a result of a professional atmosphere where collaboration and continual growth are encouraged and facilitated through professional development, co-planning opportunities, and staff-led committee work.
Specific job responsibilities are to:
- Reinforce the mission of the school with staff and inspire them to act on the mission every single day with urgency, excellence, and optimism
- Define and build a school culture of high expectations where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take risks
- Create and maintain a fair and equitable system for discipline and student management
- Build positive relationships with all students to model a rapport of professionalism and respect
- Establish and maintain positive school-parent and school-community relations with the goal of achieving high levels of parent/community satisfaction and a strong family-school partnership
- Meet with parents to discuss issues with student behavior or academic performance
- Conduct teacher observations, evaluate learning materials, and facilitate a dialogue that allows for teacher growth
- Serve as the key external spokesperson for the school, conveying the school’s mission and building strong relationships with constituents, including students, teachers, parents, and community members
- Use data to inform practice and drive decision-making and instruction at the school
- Assist with the coordination of national and state testing
- Program schedules and tracking student progress toward graduation
- Work with the Assistant Principal of Operations, Principal, and Executive Director (Admin. Team) to oversee the school’s operations, finances and compliance functions to achieve UPCHS’s ambitious charter goals
- Work with the Admin. Team to manage human resource functions, including recruiting new teachers, developing retention strategies, and conducting regular performance reviews in accordance with UPCHS guidelines
- Collaborate with the union to achieve school goals while adhering to the collective bargaining agreement
- Work with and manage UPCHS committees to ensure that staff members’ voices are incorporated into the operational decisions at the school
- Speak and advocate for the school in the co-located building site and in the school community
- Establish and maintain professional and cooperative working partnerships with all stakeholders: parents, students, staff, neighbors, and partners
- Work with the Admin. Team to ensure special education and ENL compliance
- Work with the Student Outreach Coordinator, Principal, and Executive Director to manage student recruitment and enrollment activities and work towards student retention
- Play a major supporting role or take the lead in all school-wide initiatives at UPCHS including: Summer School, Summer Bridge orientation program, Saturday Academy, student office hours, co-curricular activities, parent-teacher conferences, student and staff recruitment projects, staff-wide PD days, school-wide or community events
In addition to the responsibilities associated with the role of Assistant Principal of Instruction, the School will also expect that you perform other duties as the Principal, Executive Director, or Board of Trustees may reasonably assign. You are expected to devote your business time and your best professional efforts, judgment, and skill to the performance of your duties and responsibilities for the School and to abide by all School policies and procedures. Further, you are asked to hold others accountable to the school’s expectations as delineated in the appropriate student and staff handbooks.
Ideal Candidates will Possess:
- Commitment and alignment with the mission of University Prep Charter High School
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude and proficiency with education platforms and technology (Microsoft Office, Smart Notebook, PowerSchool, PowerScheduler, ATS, FAMIS, etc.)
- An understanding of programming software, needs, and requirements
- Willingness to undertake and effectively complete projects of his or her own initiative
- Confidence in implementing school discipline policies to manage student behavior
- Exceptional team management and organizational skills
- Ability to reflect on practice and regular feedback, and make necessary adjustments in accordance with the school mission
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in education
- SBL and/or SDL certification is not required, but the candidate must pursue such qualifications within a reasonable timeline.
- Multiple years of teaching or other relevant education experience preferred
- Proficiency in languages other than English is greatly valued
This is a twelve-month position. UPCHS offers a particularly attractive compensation package. In addition, you are eligible to participate in the benefits program available to all full-time employees, including health and dental benefits, disability insurance, and a retirement plan.