School Network Staff Chief of Staff
Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for a dynamic, determined Chief of Staff to join our network senior leadership team in Nashville, TN or Jackson, MS. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
Equal parts strategic mastermind, problem-wrangler, and team-builder, the Chief of Staff at RePublic Schools is a chief-level senior leader charged with leading RePublic to scale through our next phase of growth and impact in Tennessee and Mississippi. Internally, the Chief of Staff provides direct support to the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to ensure that RePublic sets and achieves strategic objectives as an organization.
The Chief of Staff leads the annual planning process, designs and hosts key leadership, board and staff meetings/retreats, manages critical decision-making processes, and ensures effective internal communication so that the key activities of the organization are well-coordinated, especially between our schools and our Network Support Team. The Chief of Staff is a chief-level member of RePublic’s Senior Leadership Team, and reports directly to the CEO of the organization.
- Senior Team Management
- Support and provide strategic advice to the CEO, and represent the CEO as an official of the organization. Maximize the CEO’s effectiveness by leveraging his time in a way that ensures maximum focus on highest priority organization issues and initiaties.
- Participate as a member and ensure the success of the RePublic senior leadership team.
- Coordinate recurring meetings and larger stepbacks to ensure all time spent together is highly effective: the right topics are raised, facilitation supports healthy debate on the most important questions, and there is clear ownership and follow through.
- Support all Senior Leaders in managing their priorities, teams and responsibilities.
- Ensure RePublic’s Board of Directors is informed and appropriately engaged. Support CEO in developing agendas and materials for Board and committee meetings. Identify opportunities to engage board on strategic issues and follow-up with members as appropriate.
- Strategic Planning + Growth
- Drive strategic planning by establishing alignment and progress monitoring around a set of annual and multi-year strategic priorities.
- Over time, support the development of departmental and organization-wide budgets to ensure resources are allocated to support organizational priorities and initiatives.
- Facilitate working groups to develop multi-year goals and objectives and design strategies and measures of success for each goal/objective.
- Source opportunities for growth and expansion while managing the internal greenlighting process for opening new schools and launching new regions.
- Special Projects + Network Team Culture and Development
- Manage and own the strong execution of discrete projects and strategic initiatives that require cross-team collaboration where decision rights span across multiple teams.
- As the primary person responsible holistically for the effective operations of the Network Support Team (20+ employees next year), ensure a coordinated approach to the effective learning and development of network support team members.
- Manage norms and rituals around adult culture on the network team by facilitating all network team meetings, and supporting senior leaders in establishing norms across all teams that align to RePublic’s core values.
Who You Are
Our ideal Chief of Staff candidate is:
- A serial optimist. You’ve got a deep, personal commitment to the mission of RePublic Schools, and a genuine belief that all students can achieve academic excellence, regardless of race, language ability, or socioeconomic status. You’re a fierce advocate for students with diverse language and cultural backgrounds, you’ve got a “healthy rage” about the state of public education in the South, and you want to be a part of a team that is doing something about it every single day.
- A systems creator. You’re unfazed by ambiguity, and thrive in situations where you get to build something out of nothing, develop and inspire others to execute on your vision, or create order out of chaos. You want to do work that’s never been done before, better than anyone’s ever done it.
- A results driver. You’ve got track record of effective leadership and an ability to navigate complex issues and drive impressive results. You use data to drive the decisions you’re making, change course of action as needed, and troubleshoot effectively to move projects forward and get the job done — well.
- A details maven. Nothing gets past you. You don’t drop balls, miss deadlines, or forget to respond to someone’s inquiry. You follow up with other people to follow up with you. You track timelines, data, and information in an organized and systematic fashion, and you develop systems to help others do the same to ensure kids get the support they need to thrive.
- A bridge and community builder. You work across individuals, teams, and lines of to bring people together to collaborate on projects that cross multiple departments and workstreams. People trust you because they trust you will have their backs – even when that means holding them accountable.
- Other qualifications and certification:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university is required. Advanced degree in business, public policy or administration, or related discipline preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of related, senior leadership level experience in the private sector, management consulting, and/or education management fields strongly preferred;
- Experience serving scholars who are traditionally underserved, in an urban public school or high-performing public charter school setting strongly preferred.
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
- Submit your resume and an optional cover letter online: http://www.republiccharterschools.org/careers.