Research and Policy Community Manager
Start Date: Immediate
Role Type: Full Time
Location/ Travel: Flexible–with willingness to travel ~20% domestically, when safe to do so
Who We Are:
Transcend supports communities to create and spread extraordinary, equitable learning environments. We fulfill this mission by focusing on two key priorities:
- Supporting more communities to have far better designs: To scale up their work supporting design journeys of communities, so that more places are more successfully designing, building, and spreading extraordinary, equitable learning environments.
- Making systemic change that enables innovation: To engage key actors in the field to create broader ecosystem conditions that positively impact communities on design journeys, by growing actors’ proximity to insights, voices, and evidence from work with communities and by learning from their perspectives and experiences.
To learn more about our work, check out this recent podcast by our founders: http://bit.ly/TranscendMission
The Transcend Design Community (TDC) is a free, thriving network of 1,200+ educators, innovators, and designers sharing ideas, know-how, and support to accelerate innovation in K-12 schooling nationwide. The TDC amplifies Transcend’s impact in so many ways: providing more school communities access to the resources we create, the designs we help shape, innovative school models, and growing our network of expertise. Together with this community, we are building a cutting-edge movement to reinvent schooling!
The TDC community is currently engaged through Slack channels, online events (and when safe to do so, in-person events), and a newsletter that highlights valuable resources and tools.
The Community Manager will play a key role in growing the community, deepening engagement, and expanding programming. In this role, you will get to:
- Co-Create the strategy, vision, and plan to grow the Transcend Design Community, and help lead the movement to reinvent schooling so that all children can thrive.
- Manage operations and logistics for TDC events, both virtually through Zoom and in-person (when safe to do so), including preparation, promotion, execution, and follow-up.
- Build, sustain, and facilitate strong relationships with and among TDC members.
- Think creatively and experiment with new strategies to bolster engagement in a variety of platforms: Slack, Facebook, LinkedIn, and potentially Twitter, Clubhouse, and more!
- Serve as liaison between TDC and Transcend, gathering feedback, brokering critical connections, and responding to community requests.
- Closely collaborate with the communications team to generate content for the community’s newsletter and social media accounts.
- Represent Transcend at events to forge relationships, inspire others in this work, spread knowledge of Transcend, and build our network.
- Manage operations of the TDC behind the scenes: adding new members, managing records, updating information, and collecting data.
To see this role in action, check out the sample day in the life.
This role reports to Sarah Akhtar Ross, Partner of Community Engagement.
Who You Are:
You believe in the collective impact of community! You are passionate about bringing together disparate groups of people and aligning them around a common purpose to enact meaningful change in the world. You anticipate and are supportive of people’s needs and relish making sure people feel engaged and excited. In your work, you enjoy crafting creative messages and content. You have a keen eye for details and love designing and managing logistics to ensure smooth experiences and events.
And lastly, you love that your everyday work is in service to a mission that matters! You believe deeply in the power of education to change lives and elevate voices that have been marginalized for too long, and you can’t wait to contribute your talents to this cause.
To all of this, you bring:
- A commitment to Transcend’s mission of transforming education, with a passion for creating extraordinary and equitable learning environments
- A commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion in your approach to community engagement
- A willingness to travel up to ~20% of the time to manage events when it is safe to do so
- Eagerness to embrace and live into Transcend’s core values
- Proven experience building communities online using a variety of platforms
Perks and Benefits:
Transcend is committed to providing our colleagues with a competitive benefits package. Transcend offers medical, dental, and vision coverage options, org-wide holidays, paid time off, paid parental leave, professional development opportunities, and fully remote work. We’re also proud of our values-grounded, equity-focused, and fun(!) work environment, incredible colleagues, and a dedication to our work and to one another.
Transcend is an equal opportunity employer. We are building a diverse team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.