Marketing and Communications Director of Advancement
Director of Advancement
GEO Foundation has been making access to quality schools a reality for children since 1998. GEO incubates quality charter schools and then supports their growth and success. GEO-sponsored public charter schools are high academic growth schools and feature a unique K-14 model–full day kindergarten all the way through two years of college. Our school locations are in Gary and Indianapolis, Indiana as well as Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Our team believes in this mission and serves the families and students with pride as they watch them reach these milestones.
The Director of Advancement will further the mission of GEO Foundation by developing and implementing strategies to increase annual giving. This position will work closely with the Founder of GEO Academies to establish and achieve annual fundraising goals that will include grants and funding applications, major donor engagement, planned giving, individual fundraising and fundraising events with the result of strengthening current relationships with supporters and opening doors for new donors. This position will also work alongside the Communications and Marketing team to ensure consistent branding and clear and targeted messaging.
This is a full time hybrid position. The base salary is $100,000 annual plus performance based bonuses.
- Develops and executes the annual development and fundraising plan in collaboration with the Founder of GEO Academies, coordinating annual fundraising targets with organizational strategic objectives and budget considerations.
- Manages the portfolio of donors to include current donors and prospective major donors finding creative ways to strengthen relationships with individuals, corporations, government agencies and foundations.
- Solicits major gifts annually while growing the pipeline of new opportunities to support future major gifts.
- Represents the organization at appropriate events as deemed necessary by the GEO Academies Founder.
- Reviews federal and state grant opportunities and develops applications as appropriate
- Creates opportunities to increase visibility of the mission.
- Leads, plans and executes special events.
- Identifies new grant opportunities to pursue and execute.
- Generate donor communications, newsletters and annual reports.
- Prepare written and verbal proposals and agreements for planned giving and major gifts.
- Maintain a communication strategy in collaboration with the Marketing/Communications department, to ensure donors stay informed and connected.
- Assist in the creation of print, digital and social media content to ensure consistent branding.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Applied understanding of basic fundraising principles and development of best practices.
- Strong prospect identification and qualification skills
- Ability to establish relationships of trust and respect.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading ability.
- Exceptional interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent presentation ability.
- Previous use and proficiency of Microsoft Office products and Outlook.
- Experience with online fundraising, email marketing, and internet research.
Required Education & Experience:
- Minimum five years of relevant fundraising experience.
- Grant writing experience, preferably for Charter Schools, writing federal, state and private foundation grants both large and small.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Ability to establish objectives, set and meet performance standards.
- Proven track record of meeting fundraising goals and securing major gifts.