Instructional Support Education Specialist Generalist
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an innovative and comprehensive child welfare and social services agency that provides essential support to families with at least one family member who has a disability and/or chronic medical condition. Children and their families enter into NAC’s services through the city’s foster care system, preventive services, or by way of community referral. All of our clients have access to a wide array of services including intensive, multi-faceted support for children’s educational needs.
As such, we are looking for a creative problem solver to join a fun, hardworking team as an Education Specialist for High School and College Bound (HSCB) who will assist students and families from all NAC programs including foster care, prevention, and aftercare to access appropriate and meaningful educational services. In addition, the HSCB Education Specialist will assist in the development and delivery of opportunities related to the College Bound program related to the promotion of caregiver and student self-advocacy and empowerment.
Responsibilities of the Education Specialist for High School and College Bound:
- Primary responsibility is to support NAC families in accessing appropriate educational and developmental services.
- Report to the Senior Coordinator of High School and College Bound.
- Serve as a resource to NAC social workers/case managers, as well as, to caregivers and youth in providing technical assistance and guidance with educational matters.
- Liaise with school staff and city agency officials and offices to ensure school/program compliance with federal, state and city laws and regulations.
- Work with teachers and service providers on matters of academic support and related services.
- Support “College Bound” program to identify and support high school students through college prep and college application.
- Assist with and/or facilitate NAC-based College Bound programs, presentations, and workshops.
- Participate in NAC case conferences, school visits, classroom observations, and IEP meetings among other meetings, as necessary.
- Collaborate on grant reporting and application opportunities.
- Participate in agency data project.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Education, Special Education, Social Work, or a related field.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and City regulations regarding provision of special education and general education services.
- Comfortable with high school level academics, Regents exams, and college admission requirements.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Willingness to travel throughout NYC, as needed
- Proficiency in Spanish is desirable.
Salary Range: Based on Experience
How to ApplyWhen applying, indicate “Education Specialist Generalist” in the subject line, and submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: Mary Ann Code Human Resources Department New Alternatives for Children, Inc. 37 West 26th Street, 6th Floor New York, NY 10010 Fax: 212-545-7375 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org To learn more about New Alternatives for Children, Inc., please visit our website: www.nackidscan.org “WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY"
139 total views, 1 today