Teacher Elementary Classroom Teacher (2022-2023)
Positions Report to: Instructional Leadership Team
Start/End Date: 2022 – 2023 School Year
Hours: 7:40 am – 4:15 pm + some out of school time responsibilities
Compensation: $59,000 – $122,000 (Please note that this is a general range – salaries are determined based on credentials & years of experience). East Harlem Scholars Academies also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who We Are
East Harlem Scholars Academies are community-based Pre-K to 12 public charter schools operated by East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP). EHTP began in 1958 as a children’s reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a network of public charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. We are on track to serve at least 25% of East Harlem students by 2025, with enrollment for this year at approximately 2200 students in our schools and after school programs. In 2020, 99% of our seniors were accepted to college, and our current scholars in college are on-track to graduate at eight times the national average of their peers.
At EHTP we also aim to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. As staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. Read our racial equity statement here.
We ground all of our work in racial equity, in our core values, and in our four guiding pursuits: the Revolutionary Pursuit of Love, the Radical Pursuit of Knowledge, the Responsive Pursuit of Healing, and in the Relentless Pursuit of Results. These pursuits inform and are reflected in our current four key strategic priorities: to increase high-impact, high-quality academic curriculum, programming content, staff capacity, and coaching; to embrace and advance our use of technology; to deepen our embodiment of ethical and equitable radical humanity; and to efficiently operationalize teaching, learning, community, and care.
For more information about Scholars Academies, please visit us at www.eastharlemscholars.org.
About The Opportunity
As a teacher with Scholars Academies you will be student facing the majority of the day. You will work closely with your grade team and the instructional leadership team to internalize, and in some cases develop, curriculum; provide high-quality instruction; track and measure student progress; create a positive classroom and school culture, and to engage in reflection and continuous improvement. As a team we will work together to prepare students with the skills, strength of character, and emotional well-being to excel academically, lead in their communities, and realize their best possible selves.
For more details about the role, please click here.
What Qualifies You
- You hold yourself to high professional and ethical standards
- You enjoy and/or have experience working with diverse populations of students and communities
- You believe that every student can and will learn when provided with a quality education
- You have demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally at-risk students
- You are willing to be flexible in your role and adapt to school and student needs
- You are committed to continuous improvement and learning through professional development
- You have a minimum of three-year’s experience in relevant educational positions, specifically within grades 2-5
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and hold or are in the process of obtaining a NYS Special Education Certification
Areas of Leadership
- Demonstrate successful partnership with classroom co-teacher and utilize multiple co-teaching models in the classroom
- Embodiment and effective modeling of our core values for students to exhibit and practice them
- Sets ambitious goals based on backwards planning, demonstrating locus of control, and aligned with an overall vision for student success, content to be learned, personal knowledge of students, and overall instructional context
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of content and effective pedagogy, evidenced by clear and objective-driven instruction.and meaningful student engagement through active learning practices
- Staff member sets clear expectations and institutes routines so as to establish and maintain a purposeful, supportive, and fun environment for learning, in which students feel safe, valued, and respected by adults and their peers
- Builds a classroom community where restorative practices are actively modeled and used to navigate student and community challenges
- Demonstrates a Team First mindset, through proactive contributions to the community, and advances his/her practice through reflection, development opportunities, participation in the professional community, and actively engaging families and community members
For the safety of our students and staff, East Harlem Tutorial Program requires all staff members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We do allow for medical and religious exemptions that adhere to our policy and CDC guidelines. If you have any questions and would like further information, please reach out to HR@ehtp.org.
Thank you for taking the time to submit an application.