Teacher High School Math Teacher
Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for dynamic, determined High School Math Teachers to lock arms with our school team at RePublic High School in Nashville, TNfor the 2019-2020 school year. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * NEW BONUS OPPORTUNITY in SY20! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We are excited to announce an opportunity for RHS staff members who lead an Advisory block (e.g. homeroom) at RHS to earn additional compensation for driving towards outcomes that we believe will help the RHS team make progress as quickly as possible to achieve goals that matter in the lives of our kids. We know that creating great schools during founding years takes hard work, and will require staff members to go above and beyond, as staff members across RePublic’s schools already do. By introducing this opportunity in 2019-20 at RHS, we believe we will not only be able to attract world-class high school experts to RHS, but recognize returning RHS teammates for their ongoing commitment to living out our vision for excellent schools.
In 2019-20, staff members who lead an Advisory at RHS will have the chance to earn a bonus of up to $7,000 in addition to their annualized base salary for meeting goals in the categories below:
- Average GPA of Advisory Scholars: $2,500 if scholars in your Advisory average a GPA of 3.0 or higher; $1,500 if the average is 2.65 or higher.
- Attendance of Advisory Scholars: $1,000 if your Advisory scholars average 95 % attendance rate for the year
- Whole School Enrollment – if the whole team hits school-wide enrollment goals in February, all advisors earn double the amounts earned in categories outlined above.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Who You Are
- A steadfast believer that all students can achieve academic excellence, regardless of background
- A growth-minded tinkerer who is constantly learning, improving, and hungry for feedback
- A gritty problem-solver who is eager to approach challenges with smart solutions in mind
- An eternal optimist who supports and motivates your teammates by having their back
- A bond-builder, who believes that strong relationships are the lynchpin for strong schools
- A fervent planner who backwards maps from big goals to drive daily actions
- A detail maven who recognizes that big things come from small, intentional actions over time
- A data-driven analyst who reflects and takes swift action based on results
- A proactive communicator who reaches out to students, families, and teammates
What You’ll Do
- Get results. Ensure that students are growing. Continually plan lessons and analyze data to push scholars to master rigorous content.
- Never stop growing. Offer and receive constructive feedback from colleagues in order to create a professional working atmosphere that aspires to excellence and is conducive to constant improvement; dive humbly into school-wide and individual professional development, including pre-service training over the summer and weekly sessions during the academic year.
- Bring it. Have stamina and the ability to set and achieve ambitious goals, and handle the intensity required to bring your best self to a high-performing school environment where the stakes are high for kids.
- Own your content. Study Common Core Standards and do the intellectual prep needed to create and develop rigorous assessments, unit plans, lesson plans, and instructional materials; demonstrate expertise in and a genuine passion for your content area that is contagious to scholars.
- Deliver strong. Dynamically lead students in whole-class and small-group settings, cultivate intellectual curiosity and a love of learning in scholars, and adjust using qualitative and quantitative data to ensure student understanding and meet differentiated student needs.
- Be the teammate you want next door. Emanate optimism, bring up the daily happiness quotient of the people around you, share feedback to solve problems, reflect on how your actions impact others, and take ownership over creating the staff culture you want to show up to each day.
- Reach higher – and sweat the small stuff. Develop, uphold, and implement RePublic’s values and systems to effectively manage a classroom, create a consistent experience for scholars across the school, and lead students to meet sky-high academic and behavioral expectations.
- Spread the love. Build deep relationships with students, families, and staff to foster a culture of joy and community. Maintain strong lines of communication with families about student progress, and go above and beyond to support and collaborate closely with teammates in the united pursuit of RePublic’s mission.
The Fine Print
- Prior Experience. Prior experience teaching math, experience teaching in a low-income community, and a demonstrated ability to raise achievement levels of traditionally underserved students highly preferred. Ability to demonstrate a deep commitment to addressing historic inequity along lines of race + class in the American South required.
- Placement. High School Math Teachers will teach scholars in 9-12 grades, a sequence of Algebra I + II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and AP Statistics.
- Qualifications/Certification. All candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree is a plus. By the time outlined in offer letter, all full-time RePublic teachers must have either (a) a valid Tennessee teaching license and possess the correct content endorsements, (b) a teaching license that has successfully been transferred from another state that offers reciprocity with TN, and / or (c) demonstrated that he/she is on track to complete required steps to get certified while teaching full time (i.e. enrolled in a certifying program, registered for, taken and passed state-required teacher certification exams, etc.).
- Compensation. Salary is competitive with local district and partner charter organizations, and commensurate based on prior experience in education. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.
How to ApplyTo Apply
- Interested? To apply for this position, please submit a resume and an option cover letter: http://republiccharterschools.org/careers