Teacher HUM II Multilingual/Transitional Bilingual Education Teacher Sought
HUM II is establishing a new model for Multilingual Learners that will include instruction in Spanish and English. We are looking for a dynamic team of teachers with the abilities to provide plans, execute, and implement instruction in both English and Spanish. This team will also be tasked with developing welcoming classrooms, access points for all learners, and coupling instruction with strong reading and writing demands to develop language and literacy through both Spanish and English. There is an expectation that the instructors will leverage and build upon our students’ cultural assets and support rigorous academic achievement that is integrated with core content. The goal is to have our English Language learners be proficient in Spanish and English at a college level in both languages at the end of three years.
About New Visions:
New Visions for Public Schools was founded in 1989 and is dedicated to ensuring that all New York City public school students, regardless of race or economic class, have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for the rigors of college and the workforce. New Visions has been a driving force behind some of the most significant reforms to public education in New York city, including pioneering the model of small high schools in New York City and creating nearly 150 new small schools; producing free open-source curriculum used by thousands of teachers in New York State and across the country; and launching a nationally-recognized Urban Teacher Residency program to train new teachers.
New Visions currently supports nearly 350 schools citywide with school management tools, instructional resources and coaching, and more. This includes 10 charter high schools in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens; and 70 district high schools in all five boroughs that are part of our Affinity network. In 2017-18, graduation rates in our Charter and Affinity networks reached an all-time high of 84.5 percent (an increase of nearly 10 percentage points in the past five years) and college readiness rates reached 55.8 percent, surpassing 50 percent for the first time (an increase of nearly 25 percentage points in the past five years).
Advantages of teaching at a New Visions school include:
- Emphasis on knowledge sharing practices, frequent training, and targeted professional development opportunities
- Eligibility to apply for grants and fellowships to support the personal and professional development of exceptional teachers
- Access to leadership development programs and career opportunities from the classroom to school administration to educational reform
- Highly competitive compensation and benefits
New Visions equips teachers with the data tools they need to succeed.
New Visions seeks the most talented and dedicated educators to bring their skills, experience, and energy to a collaborative and innovative learning environment where teachers are empowered to meet each student’s unique learning needs and open the doors to new and rich opportunities. Our teachers are dynamic and innovative pedagogues who are committed to urban students and the issues they face every day.
New Visions is looking for teachers certified in Grades 7 through 12 in the following subject areas:
- Earth Science
- Mathematics (Algebra)
- Social Studies
- English Language Learning/English as a New Language Teachers with Academic Fluency in English and Spanish.
Every New Visions teacher can expect to receive enhanced instructional support, a range of professional development opportunities and the opportunity to be part of a passionate team of colleagues. If you have the following qualities, credentials, and experience, please consider joining our team.
Successful New Visions teaching candidates will:
- Approach learning via growth mindset
- Be reflective, seek feedback, learn from those around them, and effectively apply feedback
- Make informed decisions, based on evidence and data, about their lesson planning
- Demonstrate strong content knowledge and be familiar with the Common Core State Standards
- Have a proven track record for planning lessons with clear learning objectives and a means for assessing whether those objectives have been met
- Have a proven track record of engaging students in their learning
- Have strong organizational and communication skills
- Have demonstrated success in tailoring instruction to the needs of diverse learners
- Be committed to serving all students and respect children from all backgrounds
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve common goals
Additionally, candidates must have at least a Bachelor’s degree, hold valid New York State certification*, and must be cleared for employment by fingerprint-supported background checks.
For this position, ability to speak, read, write, and listen at an academic level in Spanish is a requirement. Bilingual extension or ENL certification is highly desired. Certification in the content area is highly desired.
We are committed to diversity in our hiring and employment practices, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
*There are limited opportunities for qualified teachers who do not possess a NY State certification to work in one of our Charter High Schools.
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer.
How to ApplyPlease apply via our New Visions career portal: https://www.newvisions.org/pages/Teaching-Careers (When you apply, please indicate that you're interested in opportunities at Humanities II)
411 total views, 3 today