Finance Junior Staff Accountant
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization covering public education in America, is seeking a junior staff accountant to assist with Chalkbeat’s day-to-day financial operations in accordance with standard accounting procedures. The junior staff accountant reports directly to Chalkbeat’s Director of Finance.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Process accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP and Chalkbeat accounting policies and procedures
- Code and record accounting transactions using Intacct
- Maintain electronic filing system for accounting backup documentation
- Maintain financial tracking systems
- Assist with general accounting functions such as processing invoices, cash receipts, collections and accounts payable
- Prepare and record standard and ad hoc journal entries using Intacct
- Reconcile banking transactions to employee expense reports and follow-up with staff about missed receipts
- Create monthly financial statement package
- Assist with annual audit process and tax preparation
- Assist with annual budget construction and related ad hoc analysis
- Assist with scheduling team meetings
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- One to two years of accounting experience required
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred; ideally experience at an organization with multiple sites or cost centers
- Knowledge of Intacct (a plus) or other accounting software (a must)
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial reporting and audit support
- Superior attention to detail, with excellent analytical skills
- Ability to follow policies and procedures
- Interpersonal skills for building relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Comfort working in an environment where many staff work remotely, commitment to maintaining efficient, effective systems for a growing organization, and a view of finance as a positive support to our mission, not a bureaucratic obstacle to serving the needs of our team
- Passion for our mission a plus
The position will be based at our New York office, conveniently located near Penn Station.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31. This is a non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.