Instructional Support K-2 Dean of Early Literacy Instruction
Kindergarten – 2nd Grade Dean
Who we are:
VOICE Charter School (www.voicecharterschool.org) is an elementary and middle school located in Long Island City, Queens that serves students across grades K-8.
Our mission is to create a safe and healthy learning environment that nurtures, motivates and challenges all of our children to achieve the highest level of academic excellence and to develop into mindful, responsible, contributing participants in their education, and communities. Through rigorous academics and daily instruction in music, we cultivate students’ creative and critical thinking abilities.
What you’ll be doing:
- Instructional Support, Coaching, and Supervision
- Observe and provide feedback to teachers
- Develop and implement coaching plans that are measurable and goal-driven
- Model instructional strategies as needed
- Coordinate internal and external professional development activities for teachers
- Design and implement teacher professional development based on identified needs
- Curriculum Implementation
- Provide feedback and support for the development of curriculum maps and lesson plans
- Analyze data to plan reteaches with teachers and help improve curriculum
- Facilitate selected team meetings to model and strengthen intellectual preparation
- Lead specific curriculum initiatives to improve lesson delivery school-wide
- Coordinate vertical alignment across grade levels in content areas
- Conduct instructional walk-throughs and follow-up support for particular initiatives
- Team Management
- Employ strategies in developing supervisees and cultivating team culture, which may include but is not limited to leading team check-ins and participating in 1:1 meetings
- Supervise and support individual supervisees’ professional development and job responsibilities, which may include but is not limited to providing coaching, feedback, training and helping to manage conflicts as appropriate
- Provide supervisees with regular performance evaluations through VOICE’s formal mid-year and end-of-year performance evaluation processes
- Ensure general coverage as appropriate
- School Leadership
- Inspire and rally behind a shared vision and high standards of excellence, including but not limited to fostering staff culture and relationships across teams and divisions
- As member of school leadership team, contribute to the development and implementation of school-wide policies and procedures, which may involve but is not limited to engaging in other teams’ and divisions’ priorities, goals, and activities
- Exercise external awareness; serve as liaison for other teams, departments, partners.
- Staff-Wide Professional Expectations
- Embrace and be an ambassador of VOICE’s mission, vision and values
- Collaborate communicate and maintain effective and professional relationships as member of an interdisciplinary team of educators, support staff, and administrators
- Participate in required meetings and events, which may include student events, school concerts, parent-teacher conferences, on- and off-site conferences and trainings, others.
- Meet expectations related to punctuality and professionalism including but not limited to reporting to work on time, following the appropriate call-out and lateness procedures, timely responding to emails, consistently meeting deadlines and communicating appropriately on progress on projects and goals.
- Proactively and appropriately seek assistance and/or guidance when faced with challenges appropriately provide and receive feedback to/from students, parents, faculty, classroom assistants, support staff, and administration
- Reflect on professional practice through self-reflection and engagement in informal and formal feedback processes
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelors and Master degrees from accredited college or university
- Valid NY State Teacher Certification
- 3+ years of classroom teaching experience with improvements in student achievement
- Strong knowledge of best practices in early childhood literacy development
- Experience training teachers in multi-sensory phonics instruction, guided reading, close reading and writing
- Demonstrated ability to raise reading achievement data
- Preferred: 2+ years of leadership experience (e.g. instructional coach, team leader)
Preferred: Experience working in an urban school setting
- Deep belief in VOICE’s mission, vision, and values
- Open to collaborating with and learning from colleagues who have a variety of backgrounds, experiences, strengths, and talents
- Successfully able to handle multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment, and ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Attentive to detail
- Have a knowledge and understanding of basic principles of curriculum design, child learning theory and behavioral approaches
- Value and are committed to diversity in the workplace and classroom
- Effective skills in self-management including but not limited to meeting deadlines, effective prioritization of tasks, self-organization, managing up, and efficient time and task management
- Ability to establish communication and build warm individual relationships with students and families, colleagues, and external partners
What you’ll enjoy:
- A competitive total rewards package that values your experience and credentials, your work-life balance and sustainability to serve VOICE students and families to your best abilities, as well as your learning and development as a person and professional, including:
- Participation in the New York City Teachers Retirement System pension program
- 3 or more prep periods per day to ensure you have time to collaborate with your colleagues, develop/adjust your lessons for your students, and other miscellaneous tasks
- Comprehensive benefits package, including participation in a pre-tax commuter benefits program and partial reimbursement for monthly commuting expenses
- Gym reimbursement
- Cultural enrichment reimbursement
- Access to tickets at a free or reduced cost to numerous events throughout New York
- Paid maternity leave, child care leave, and other generous leave policies
- Benefits options include: Choice of four (4) Medical plans, FSA/HSA and Dependent Care FSA accounts, vision insurance as well as fully paid dental, life and disability insurance,
- Many opportunities to get to know your VOICE colleagues!
How to Apply: Please submit an electronic application (including a VOICE-specific cover letter and resume) at https://voicecharterschool.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
VOICE Charter School values diversity and inclusion in our community of adults and children.
Essential to the actualization of VOICE’s mission, vision and values is a commitment to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, creativity, innovation, unique capabilities and talents represents a significant part of VOICE’s successes as a school and organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In its employment decisions, VOICE does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law.