Teacher Lower Elementary Creative Arts Teacher
Elementary Creative Arts Teacher
Who we are:
VOICE Charter School (www.voicecharterschool.org/) is an elementary and middle school located in Long Island City, Queens that serves students across grades K-8.
Our mission is to create a safe and healthy learning environment that nurtures, motivates and challenges all of our children to achieve the highest level of academic excellence and to develop into mindful, responsible, contributing participants in their education, and communities. Through rigorous academics and daily instruction in music, we cultivate students’ creative and critical thinking abilities.
What you’ll be doing:
- Teach interdisciplinary artistic skills in the areas of performance arts, visual arts, and creative writing
- Coordinate with faculty to integrate content areas such as reading and writing into creative arts education topics that may include but are not limited to expressive speaking, performance skills, and creative writing
- Work with students to develop effective means of creative expressive and performance skills that integrate ELA skills and standards
- Develop and coordinate learning opportunities outside of the classroom, including but not limited to student performances and field trips to art museums/institutions
- Build a culture of creative self-expression, and utilize discourse and critique to develop students’ critical thinking about visual, and performance art
- Anticipate and identify equipment or other material needs, work with support staff to procure items, and may transport materials/supplies to/from classrooms
- Deep belief in VOICE’s mission, vision, and values
- Open to collaborating with and learning from colleagues who have a variety of backgrounds, experiences, strengths, and talents
- successfully able to handle multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment, and ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Attentive to detail
- Have a knowledge and understanding of basic principles of curriculum design, child learning theory and behavioral approaches
- Value and are committed to diversity in the workplace and classroom
- Effective skills in self-management including but not limited to meeting deadlines, effective prioritization of tasks, self-organization, managing up, and efficient time and task management
- Ability to establish communication and build warm individual relationships with students and families, colleagues, and external partners
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required
- New York State teaching certification required. VOICE will also consider (a) strong candidates who are completing or have recently completed a NY State teacher training program and who can show that they will be fully certified by the first day of employment, and (b) strong candidates with teacher training or credentials/licenses from another state who can demonstrably commit to working toward and achieving NY State teaching certification by a reasonable deadline.
- Teaching or student teaching experience in a school required
- Training and/or academic coursework in art history, art technique, and/or art education, and familiarity with state and national standards for arts education required
- Experience with and interest in working with high needs students preferred
- Experience in teaching rigorous arts units to young children; experience engaging students in the creative process, cultivating their artistic talents, and deepening their knowledge and understanding of art, design, and art history preferred
- Experience with and/or interest in designing and coordinating student art installations preferred
- Familiarity with and/or interest in utilizing or collaborating with museums and cultural institutions to engage student learning, including but not limited to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and others preferred
- Familiarity with and/or interest in using a variety of instructional techniques, media and materials, including but not limited to technology preferred
- NY State teaching certification in Visual Arts or exceptional experience in fine arts preferred
What you’ll enjoy:
- A competitive total rewards package that values your experience and credentials, your work-life balance and sustainability to serve VOICE students and families to your best abilities, as well as your learning and development as a person and professional, including:
Participation in the New York City Teachers Retirement System pension program
3 or more prep periods per day to ensure you have time to collaborate with your colleagues, develop/adjust your lessons for your students, and other miscellaneous tasks
Comprehensive benefits package, including participation in a pre-tax commuter benefits program and partial reimbursement for monthly commuting expenses
Cultural enrichment reimbursement
Access to tickets at a free or reduced cost to numerous events throughout New York
Generous leave policies
Benefits options include: Choice of four (4) Medical plans, FSA/HSA and Dependent Care FSA accounts, vision insurance as well as fully paid dental, life and disability insurance
Many opportunities to get to know your VOICE colleagues!
How to Apply: Please submit an electronic application (including a VOICE-specific cover letter and resume) at https://voicecharterschool.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
VOICE Charter School values diversity and inclusion in our community of adults and children.
Essential to the actualization of VOICE’s mission, vision and values is a commitment to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, creativity, innovation, unique capabilities and talents represents a significant part of VOICE’s successes as a school and organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In its employment decisions, VOICE does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law.