Research and Policy Manager, Advocacy
Location: Washington, D.C. area
Projected salary: Between $80,000 to $105,000, to be adjusted based on experience
About America Forward and New Profit
New Profit is a pioneering national venture philanthropy organization that backs breakthrough social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit invests in visionary leaders — both social entrepreneurs and system entrepreneurs — to help them scale high-impact solutions and achieve systemic change. To date, New Profit has invested over $150 million in scaling innovative organizations’ impact.
America Forward is the DC-based nonpartisan policy initiative of New Profit. America Forward’s mission is to unite social innovators with policymakers to translate local impact into national change. America Forward advances an education, workforce development, poverty alleviation, and social innovation public policy agenda that advances equity, fosters innovation, and rewards results. Staff of America Forward direct a Coalition of more than 100 leading social innovation organizations that champion innovative, effective, and equitable solutions to our country’s most pressing social problems. Our America Forward Coalition members are achieving measurable outcomes in more than 15,000 communities nationwide, touching the lives of 9 million Americans, and driving progress in early learning, K-12 and post-secondary education, workforce development, poverty alleviation, national service, social innovation, public health, pay for success and evidence-based policy. America Forward believes that our nation’s social innovators can lead the way to unlocking America’s potential. Together, we have leveraged $1.7 billion for evidence based social innovation and have driven millions of federal resources toward programs that are achieving measurable results for those who need them most.
About the Position
America Forward’s Advocacy Manager will work closely with America Forward’s senior staff and policy advisors to advance the Coalition’s federal collective advocacy priorities and amplify the voice of the America Forward Coalition in the national policy conversation. The Advocacy Manager will help lead federal collective advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill and help build the advocacy capacity of America Forward’s Coalition members. In addition, they will be responsible for supporting early learning and K12 education federal policy development and advocacy, with a focus on whole-learner education. In close coordination with America Forward’s Advocacy Director, Government Affairs Director, and senior consultants, the Advocacy Manager will advocate for America Forward’s early childhood, K-12 and whole-learner policy agenda by: conducting outreach to policymakers on Capitol Hill, meeting with congressional staff, planning Hill briefings, staffing Hill Days with America Forward Coalition organizations, conducting outreach to the Department of Education and other federal agencies, and engaging with education and whole-learner funders. They will also support the Advocacy Director in designing and running advocacy skill-building activities for America Forward Coalition members through the America Forward Advocacy Institute.
An independent self-starter, the Advocacy Manager will have a passion for education equity and advancing policy change, engaging with partners and policymakers, and will thrive in a fast-paced work environment. The manager will be skilled at communicating with internal and external audiences and presenting in front of groups (both in-person and online) to advance the policy priorities of the America Forward Coalition.
This position is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. The Advocacy Manager will report to Heather Rieman, the Advocacy Director of America Forward, work closely with the entire America Forward team and external policy consultants, and play a vital role in ensuring America Forward achieves its ambitious advocacy goals.
America Forward’s Advocacy Manager will:
- In close collaboration with America Forward’s Advocacy Director, staff, and team of consultants, advocate for specific federal policy priorities in the areas of early learning, K-12 education (with a focus on whole-learner education), national service, and other related issues.
- Work closely with the America Forward team to develop policy proposals and build strong relationships within the next Congress and Administration to advance priority policy ideas.
- Support America Forward’s efforts to influence the regulation and implementation of major education and other related federal legislation of interest to the Coalition.
- Coordinate messaging and strategic engagement on Capitol Hill (e.g., identify new bills, legislative actions, and emerging engagement opportunities with members of Congress and staff), in coordination with America Forward’s Advocacy and Government Affairs Directors.
- Serve as a representative of America Forward to policymakers (both in Congress and in the Administration), thought leaders, social entrepreneurs, funders, and other key stakeholders and actively cultivate relationships in order to expand our network.
- Strategize, plan, and support America Forward Advocacy Institute trainings, Hill Days, and other efforts to build the advocacy capacity and skills of America Forward Coalition members.
- Thoughtfully develop and execute meetings, town halls and community forum events with policymakers and thought leaders to lift up the priorities of the America Forward Coalition.
- Contribute to America Forward’s ongoing message development, branding, and communications strategies; generate content for America Forward across all communications platforms; develop white papers on key issues; create public engagement materials (ex: op-eds, press materials, external speeches, social media content, etc.).
- Expand America Forward’s external presence by speaking publicly at national, state, and local conferences and other events, both virtually and in person.
- 5+ years of experience in education policy, including experience at the federal level working on Capitol Hill and/or in a federal department/agency or in the policy department of a national nonprofit organization or think tank.
- Excellent ability to understand substantive education policy ideas, research, and analysis, and effectively communicate about them to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a part of a mostly DC-based team, connected to a larger Boston-based organization; ability to work collaboratively with a team of DC-based senior policy consultants.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to synthesize complex information and ideas into clear, concise, and compelling written materials.
- Excellent verbal communication skills including ability to craft messages that resonate with multiple audiences from policymakers, to member organizations, to funders.
- Detail-oriented, with strong project-management skills and the ability to track multiple work streams and follow up efficiently on action items.
- Ability to thrive and learn in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment.
- Passion for New Profit and America Forward’s missions, social entrepreneurship, and systems change; deep commitment to pursuing equity; experience or familiarity with social innovation, social entrepreneurship, and the nonprofit sector preferred.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel occasionally (particularly to New Profit’s Boston office).