Instructional Support Middle School Director of Student Support Services
Community Roots is hiring:
We are currently looking for a Middle School Director of Student Support Services who will be both innovative and inspiring in the pursuit of meeting the needs of all students in grades 6 – 8. This position will report to the Middle School Co-Directors and supervise the Learning Specialist team and all support providers and support staff, including but not limited to related service providers and paraprofessionals.
About Community Roots:
Community Roots Charter School (CRCS) is a K-8 school in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. As a diverse by design school, we are committed to being inclusive and centering anti-bias/anti-racist education. We provide all students with an educational environment where learner variability is acknowledged, valued and supported. We view this variability as an inherent strength of our community and use it to inform classroom practices and lesson design. We also establish a strong sense of community where students reflect on their identities, learn from each other, develop critical reading and thinking skills, and are equipped with strategies to take action on issues they care about.
Teaching and learning at CRCS is embedded in a meaningful real world context, where we teach children to see the connections between school and the world. Through a rich social studies focus and a social-emotional curriculum, we aim to equip all of our students with the skills and perspectives that will support them in developing into fully engaged members of their communities.
Please visit our website for more information about our school: www.communityroots.org
Benefits and Compensation:
- Competitive salary scale based on years of experience with a 403b employer match of retirement contributions
- Single and family dental, vision, and health care
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Available funding for professional development opportunities
- Community of teachers and staff who are driven, compassionate and supportive
Community Roots seeks individuals who:
- Believe that all children have the right to an exceptional education, understand that children learn in different ways, and work hard to provide/create the support each student needs
- Believe that working and educating children in a diverse and inclusive environment is essential
- Are committed to anti-bias/anti-racist education, professionally and personally
- Are capable of building a safe, nurturing, supportive and high achieving school culture
- Believe that communicating and building relationships with children’s families is essential
- Believe that a combination of creativity and research generates engaging curriculum
- Believe in and are capable of high levels of collaboration and communication
- See themselves as active learners committed to ongoing professional development
- Are reflective and embrace feedback
- Belief in CRCS mission and philosophy
- Strong belief in and ability to collaborate
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and problem solve independently
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize student achievement while creating a nurturing and encouraging school environment
- Experience in working with students with IEPs and students at risk
- Previous managerial experience preferred
- Certification in Teaching Students with Disabilities required
Main responsibilities will include:
- Oversee all programs and services for students with Individual Education Programs and 504 plans as well as those students identified as needing additional at-risk services in grades 6 – 8, including reading intervention, math intervention and behavior plans and any accompanying assessments.
- Work with Co-Directors across K-8 to develop and institute school-wide goals and plans for improving inclusive education practice.
- Collaborate with Co-Directors to provide professional development around inclusive practices for the faculty.
- Supervise and support the work of Learning Specialists through regular meetings and feedback.
- Supervise and support the work of 1:1 paraprofessional(s) through regular meetings, feedback, and professional development.
- Support collaboration between paraprofessionals and teachers.
- Facilitate grade level meetings that are focused on IEP development and supporting student behavior.
- Ensure regular and effective communication between support providers, support providers and teaching staff, support providers, teaching staff and families.
- Ensure communication and effective transition of services and information about students from one grade to the next
- Communicate and model expectations for maintaining an inclusive environment to all stakeholders including staff, families, and students.
- Coordinate the development, maintenance and oversight of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) including, developing IEP goals, collecting documents for meetings, setting pre-meetings and other meetings for all students with IEPs and in process of evaluation
- Ensure the school’s compliance with Special Education regulations and the maintenance of accurate special education records in accordance with state and federal law including required special education reporting to state authorizers
- Serve as liaison for the Committee on Special Education (CSE) and related service provider agencies
- Maintain and oversee logs for intervention services and CSE related meetings
- Serve as liaison and advocate for families and students with the CSE and other agencies
- Oversee the implementation of assessments and assessment programs, such as BIPs and FBAs.
Community Roots Middle School staff serve as co-Crew Leaders. Responsibilities of a Crew Leader include:
- Serve as the academic advisor to a small group of students, supporting their academic and leadership development through the Crew curriculum, acting as a liaison between the school and their families, and attending professional meetings to support this work
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and implement Crew curricula that support students’ learning and is aligned with the school’s mission, core values, priorities and structures
How to apply:
Please apply online at www.communityroots.org/jobs.