Teacher Middle School Science Teacher
Amani Public Charter School Amani Public Charter School is a stand alone middle school for grades 5-8, located in Mount Vernon, NY. The mission of the Amani Public Charter School is to provide Mount Vernon, New York students in the 5th through 8th grades with the academic skills necessary to succeed in competitive high school programs, college and the career of their choice. Since Amani opened its doors in 2001, it has provided the Mount Vernon community with the option of School Choice. Amani Public Charter Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and up-to-date technologies in the classroom
Current opening for Middle School Science Teacher. Science teachers will be required to plan and implement lab-based, critical thinking, science lessons based on NYS Intermediate Level Science. Teachers should also be familiar with the content and lab requirements for the 4th and 8th Grade NYS Science Exams. This position requires a positive, flexible, solutions-oriented, organized, and innovative educator who aims to challenge the status quo of the current educational landscape in urban areas. Knowledge of interactive, online lab activities is a plus.
Amani Teacher General duties/responsibilities:
Our ideal teacher will exemplify the techniques and traits aimed to close the achievement gap, transform students at risk of failure into achievers.
- Use formative and summative assessment strategies to assess learner’s progress and use data to plan ongoing instruction
- Analyze assessments that measure progress towards these standards and use this assessment data to inform and differentiate instructional practices
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards;
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior;
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards;
- Participate in an annual two-week staff orientation and training.
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and strategically to respond to student learning needs
- Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that students observe the school’s core values, high expectations, and code of conduct
- Structure and deliver engaging high impact lessons
- Understand how to manage time, space, transitions and activities for high levels of productivity
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Participate and support grade-level activities and school-wide functions throughout the school-year
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related subject area; Masters degree preferred
- NYS Teaching Certification required
- Proficiency in Google Suite preferred
- Proficiency in Google Classroom preferred
- Previous teaching experience with middle-school aged children preferred
Amani believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.