Research and Policy National Research Coordinator
Who We Are
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
What We Do
The Teach Plus national research team leads several research studies a year, administers timely research studies to support national policy initiatives, and collaborates with teachers to support regional and national policy projects. Examples of this work can be found in the publications section of the Teach Plus website under publications (http://www.teachplus.org/news-events/publications) and flash polls (http://www.teachplus.org/teacher-polls).
The national research team works closely with the national policy team as well as with regional teams and their respective Teaching Policy Fellows. The research team also convenes groups of alumni Teaching Policy Fellows in a Teacher Research Council and ad hoc National Working Groups to support and lead individual research projects.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Senior National Director of Research and Knowledge, the National Research Coordinator will have key responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
Collaborate in the development of regional policy research:
- Working closely with Teach Plus staff and teacher leaders, support and, in some cases, co-lead, the development of state research-driven policy projects. An example of these types of projects include “Improving as we go: Learning from Indiana district reentry plans” (2020).
- This includes drawing on a variety of research methods to help Teach Plus state teams design, implement, and produce a state-focused research project. Methods typically include surveys, focus groups, interviews, and secondary data analysis.
Support national research studies:
- Assist in research leading to a national report and related deliverables, such as state-focused briefs, conference presentations, and professional learning sessions. These research reports often utilize mixed-methods approaches and are conducted in collaboration with Teach Plus teacher leaders or external partners. An example of a national report is “Barriers to bridges: Teacher perspectives on accelerating learning, leadership, and innovation in the pandemic.”
Co-lead the Senior Research Fellowship:
- The Senior Research Fellowship program offers alumni of Teach Plus programs the opportunity to advance their research skills by leading their own projects. They also train and support other Teach Plus teacher leaders in conducting their own research.
- The National Research Coordinator will co-lead this program by organizing monthly sessions, coordinating the work of the Senior Research Fellows, and design content and sessions for these teacher leaders.
Serve as project manager for national research initiatives:
- Manage and update Teach Plus research resources, including an organization wide library of research resources and research-related software tools, e.g. survey tools.
- Project manage multiple national initiatives, projects, and studies.
Who We Want
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and experiences:
- At least three years of work experience in an education setting.
- Training or experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Strong project management skills, including designing, planning, monitoring, and communicating project timelines.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including demonstrated proficiency in writing and editing reports and other written materials.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Classroom teaching experience.
- Experience conducting public policy or education policy research.
- Proficiency with statistical software (SAS, SPSS, STATA, or R).
- Graduate degree in education, public policy, business, public administration, or related fields.
- Experience leading and writing research reports.
Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job with the potential to develop and succeed with coaching and support. We recognize that such a candidate may have a less traditional background or have different kinds of relevant experience. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $50,000-$60,000 and actual salary offered will be commensurate with candidate’s experience. Teach Plus offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 11 holidays, and winter break. Additionally, Teach Plus offers paid parental leave and a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
This is a remote position that will be conducted virtually (primarily from a home office).
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of the candidate’s interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/328038
Teach Plus is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex or natural origin.