Operations / Administration Operations Associate
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization covering public education in America, is seeking an Operations Associate to support our our day-to-day operations and plan for rapid growth.
We’re looking for someone with operations experience who is excited to grow their skills and work on projects big and small to further Chalkbeat’s expansion. Our ideal candidate views operations from a customer service perspective and looks forward to supporting the organization’s staff and overall mission.
You’ll join a tightly-knit operations team responsible for talent, finance, organizational planning and systems development, and you’ll interact regularly with our newsroom and development teams as part of our vibrant remote culture.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
Coordinating talent work as we build a larger team and support our existing staff, including:
- Developing creative recruitment strategies for individual talent searches
- Implementing outreach strategies to identify candidates for open positions, including use of Chalkbeat’s social media accounts
- Managing recruitment for Chalkbeat’s summer internship program
- Supporting new employee onboarding
- Serving as the primary contact with our HR/Benefits provider
- Managing annual open enrollment and ongoing benefits administration
Providing a wide range of operations support as we serve our current team and expand to new geographies, including:
- Writing the semi-monthly internal organizational newsletter
- Conducting the annual staff satisfaction survey and analyzing results
- Helping to coordinate Chalkbeat’s annual staff retreat
- Researching and purchasing of centralized services
- Supporting Chalkbeat’s performance review process
- Entering payroll information
- Preparing documentation for our annual audit
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Great task and project management skills, including the ability to integrate big picture goals with specific tasks needed to move complex projects forward effectively
- Strong organizational skills and ability to keep track of multiple competing demands
- Excellent problem-solving ability and superior attention to detail
- Strong customer service approach and solution-oriented mindset
- Experience using discretion when communicating about sensitive topics
- Ability to build trusting relationships with Chalkbeat’s full team, even in a virtual setting
- Flexibility and comfort working in an environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve
- Proficient with office software, primarily the Google Suite, including strong spreadsheet and presentation (slides) design skills
- At least five years of relevant work experience (e.g. nonprofit operations, human resources, executive support, back-office support for a growing company)
- Bachelor’s degree required
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Curiosity about education or nonprofit journalism, and a connection to our mission
- Experience with CRMs like Salesforce or the project management tool Asana
- Experience with human resources software and policies
The position will be based at our New York office, conveniently located near Penn Station.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to ApplyPlease send PDFs of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Operations Associate” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.
1818 total views, 1 today