Instructional Support Postsecondary Leadership Coach, District Partnership Program (DPP)
Position Type: Internal/External
Reports to: Senior Director of Secondary Partnership, Program Implementation
Start date: October 18, 2021
*This position is grant funded until Aug. 23, 2023. OneGoal will work to ensure the position is sustained over the long-term.
Location: Highly preferred in Chicagoland area, but flexible within the following states: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin
Apply by: September 14, 2021 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
District Partnership Program Team:
The District Partnership Program (DPP) team exists to support OneGoal in creating a postsecondary solution for districts that is scalable, affordable on public dollars, and impactful. Partner districts will transform the postsecondary pathway experience for students across the district by building the capacity of multiple adults already in those districts who directly impact critical postsecondary outcomes, and by embedding postsecondary success programs/systems/tools into the fabric of K12 education. DPP is intentionally developing a model that reduces the costs of achieving impact and allows OneGoal to reach districts and students anywhere in the country, not just those in our existing regions.
To achieve this mission, our overarching goals are to: (1) improve student postsecondary outcomes in partner DPP districts, (2) reduce our reliance on philanthropy, over time, through larger investments of public dollars in the program, (3) support districts to institutionalize transformative and equitable systems that support student postsecondary success, and (4) hire, retain, and grow a highly talented DPP team that continuously innovates in support of our broader vision: to close the degree divide in America.
You are driven by a strong belief that all students deserve an equitable opportunity to achieve their greatest postsecondary aspirations. The main area of focus for this role is as follows:
- Supporting a portfolio of district and school leaders and building their capacity to improve the postsecondary success of their students. You will do this specifically by:
- Executing regular, individualized coaching cycles with these leaders
- Facilitating cohort learning experiences for a group of motivated and seasoned leaders that improve their ability to operate as postsecondary experts
- Providing instructional and implementation coaching to school-based Site Directors (Assistant Principals or Guidance Counselors) to help them monitor the implementation of OneGoal’s classroom model
Additionally, this role consists of:
- Assisting the Senior Director of Secondary Partnerships – Program Design + Strategy with the design of additional products and supports that enhance OneGoal’s support to district and school leaders. You will do this by helping to 1) codify a suite of OneGoal system-level tools and services 2) relentlessly test/iterate these products such that we improve our ability to achieve impact at scale over time, 3) align these products and tools with the overall strategy and vision for our work with district and school leaders.
Together, we’ll achieve a system-level change that puts the majority of students in a district on a better trajectory towards their postsecondary aspirations.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Leadership coaching for a portfolio of school and district leaders across the country in order to ensure positive postsecondary outcomes at partner districts/schools (60%)
- Strategic and intentional preparation and design of coaching & support cycle arc
- Facilitation of whole group professional learning sessions to leaders
- Implementation of regular coaching cycles with school and district leaders
- Providing feedback on leadership practices and sharing best postsecondary practices with school and district leaders
- Leveraging assessment and reflection of metrics to assess impact of these products/support
- Empowering school and district leaders to lead postsecondary success efforts and confront issues of equity in postsecondary outcomes
- Instructional leadership and implementation coaching for a portfolio of school-based Site Directors across the country in order to ensure positive postsecondary outcomes at partner schools (25%)
- Collaborate with the Manager of Partner Success to manage beginning of the year implementation processes with partner schools around OneGoal scheduling, staffing, and course enrollment
- Provide ongoing implementation support to school partners focused on building student/teacher investment and alignment between OneGoal and other school-wide structures
- Position Site Directors to engage in regular coaching cycles with OneGoal teachers and ground conversations in the Postsecondary Instructional Practice rubric
- Codifying OneGoal’s Professional Development Services design by refining products for district and school leaders that build their capacity to lead postsecondary improvement (15%)
- Continue to develop/expand our three pilot products/supports (postsecondary readiness rubric, postsecondary school improvement series, and postsecondary improvement leadership coaching) by adding to our programmatic infrastructure
- Ensure products/supports build the capacity of leaders and systems and are aligned to adult learning principles
- Collaborating with other OneGoal coaches to develop OneGoal’s best practices in leadership development
- Identify opportunities for integration with and core classroom model
- Outline measures of success and evaluation framework for OneGoal’s PD services, in collaboration with colleagues
The Postsecondary Leadership Coach is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to graduate from a postsecondary institution.
- You believe that students in underserved communities face real systemic barriers to postsecondary completion, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
- You believe a user-centered design approach ensures that our program is responsive to students and educators AND leads to the greatest impact on post-secondary outcomes
You are a champion of adult learning principles
- You take a problem-centered approach to support adult learning
- You develop multiple ways to have adults practice a new skill or concept in your professional learning and coaching sessions
- You narrowly focus your support around a discrete set of objectives because you know adults must master one concept before moving onto the next
- You recognize when to adjust your approach to meet the needs of different individuals. You know when to be directive and when to be facilitative in your coaching.
You build the capacity of others.
- You are passionate about supporting the needs of school-based partners and pride yourself in developing the leadership of others
- You believe in empowering others where you can, as opposed to doing it all yourself
- You coach others to think strategically about stakeholder engagement, distributed leadership, sustainability planning, and relational trust
- You have multiple strategies to equip leaders with the knowledge, skills, and mindsets necessary to lead improvement efforts
You see the system
- You recognize that without alignment and coherence, improvement initiatives often fail
- You help leaders unpack various root causes that hinder or help postsecondary improvement strategies
- You apply continuous improvement principles to your own work and your work with system leaders
- You understand the nuances and details of postsecondary structures and data necessary to yield system-wide positive change
- You examine a variety of different data sources across a system to triangulate key themes
You are an influencer and relationship-builder:
- You motivate leaders to make both incremental change and take big leaps
- You leverage a deep understanding of yourself and others to to build trusting relationships with colleagues and partners
- You have the ability to connect and build relationships with diverse communities
You design and create
- You leverage research and user needs to guide your design of products and supports for system-level leaders
- You develop different product prototypes and engage in rapid cycle learning to iterate on different versions
- You understand the internal-facing and external-facing programmatic architecture need to stand up school/district leader products and services
- You create a variety of different professional learning sessions, artifacts, tools that help leaders execute their postsecondary priorities
You work is detail-orientated, innovative, and customized
- You pay attention to small details in order to standardize and professionalize content and products
- You recognize that no two schools and districts have the same content and can adapt our products as needed
- You connect the dots for partners across our products/services so that they understand the interplay
You are a learner
- You identify ways to engage in rapid cycles of improvement (test-iterate) to learn what parts of our new products/supports are working well, and which of those need improvement through data-driven decisions.
- You strive to fix areas that are not working.
- You use data (quantitative and qualitative) to make short- and long-term improvements and to inform future analysis and learnings
- You seek out experts and colleagues in the school support organization/college access organization space to provide input and feedback
- Your decisions are grounded in what is best for our Fellows and educators in the short- and long-term
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- Master’s Degree in School/District Leadership or Administration (Preferred)
- 5+ years of postsecondary leadership [administrator or lead counselor] experience at the high-school level or in a district postsecondary/college and career department (Required)
- Knowledge of and experience with post-secondary systems and structures [eg. FASFAs, common application, etc.] (Required)
- Experience coaching and developing school or district leaders (Required)
- Strong project management skills (Required)
- Ability to travel a few days every month, once COVID-19 related travel restrictions are lifted (approximately 20-30% of the time)
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
How to ApplyThrow Your Hat in the Ring. Please click here to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position. OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law ------------------------------------------------ Quarter Five, a coaching and consulting firm that specializes in supporting organizations as they navigate complex and consequential change, has been retained for this engagement. About Quarter Five Quarter Five (Q5) represents an extra quarter in the year to focus on the things that matter most. We know that true partnership matters - we are that true partner. Our partnership includes: Our partnership includes: Business Consulting
- Executive Leadership Transitions and Team Restructures
- Individual, Team, and Leadership Development Through Change
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Design and Implementation
- Navigating Complex Issues and Crisis Response
- Matching diverse talent to your organizations' needs