Instructional Support Pre-HSE Instructor
Reports to: Assistant Director of Learning and Career Development
Location: Bronx, NY
About Phipps Neighborhoods:
Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in the South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources.
We are dedicated to our neighborhoods for the long term, supporting individuals and families as they establish self-sufficiency. Our services create opportunities for people to thrive in every aspect of their lives.
Phipps Neighborhoods Young Adult Literacy Program offers transformational programming for young people that provides opportunities to get their lives back on track, obtain an education, develop career readiness and fulfill their potential. These programs provide educational advancement, job training, internships, mentoring, and computer skills training, located in three Bronx libraries.. Program services are available to young people between the ages of 16-24 who have had literacy or other educational challenges.
Instructors will teach math and literacy at one of the library sites. Instructors will also engage students in a Service Learning Project as well as teach an hour of job readiness per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create engaging instructional strategies and lesson plans in accordance with standards and best practices.
- Provide instruction in math and/or literacy for pre-HSE students, including large and small group instruction as well as one-on-one tutoring.
- Evaluate student progress using standardized assessment tools and administer pre-and post-tests according to schedule.
- Integrate technology into instructional strategies.
- Adapt teaching style and strategies to maximize student learning and retention.
- Monitor attendance and student progress using online database.
- Distribute and record metrocards to the students based on attendance.
- Assist with Outreach and Recruitment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching young adult learners, and experience with disconnected youth who have been court-involved, educationally challenged and/or with learning disabilities, substance abuse issues, etc.
- Highly skilled in Social Emotional Learning and Youth Development Principals.
- Strong background in teaching reading and writing and/or math.
- Experience working with students of varied ages, levels, and diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of ABE, pre-HSE, and/or HSE curriculum, testing procedures, and requirements.
- Strong background in youth development and an assets-driven perspective on how to work with disconnected youth.
- Excited about the opportunity to work in an environment dedicated to the development and growth of youth.
- Ability to integrate technology into the curriculum.
- Experience leading and/or participating in Service Learning preferred.
- Proficient in basic computer applications (Outlook, Word, Power Point)
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work in a changing environment.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Enthusiasm, creativity and initiative
How to ApplyTo Apply: Please forward your resume and cover letter to Monique De La Oz email@example.com. Please indicate the job title (Instructors) in the subject line. In your cover letter please outline why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide your salary requirements. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.
98 total views, 1 today