Principal or Vice Principal Principal – Elementary School
PERSONNEL VACANCY NOTICE
GARY COMMUNITY SCHOOL CORPORATION
1988 Polk Street
Gary, IN 46407
Melisha Jones-Henderson Dr. Pete Morikis,
Executive Director Human Resources Emergency Manager
POSITION: Principal – Elementary School
SALARY: $70,000 – $75,000.00
REPORTS TO: Emergency Manager
To use leadership, supervisory and administrative skills to promote the educational
development of each student. Administers and coordinates curriculum and instruction for
the assigned school; supervises and evaluates classroom instruction; monitors student
progress; sets standards and expectations for the assigned school; communicates with the
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing
of all the duties and responsibilities performed by this position.
• Establishes and maintains an effective learning climate in the school.
• Monitors student progresses and develops methods for monitoring student
• Establishes and implements policies and procedures for assigned school.
• Prepares and conducts staff development activities.
• Initiates designs and implements programs to meet specific needs of the school.
• Develops and implements effective school/community relationships.
• Administers, supervises and evaluates classroom instruction.
• Makes recommendations concerning the school’s administration and instruction.
• Prepares and administers the school budget and supervises school finances.
• Supervises the maintenance of all required building records and reports.
• Prepares or supervises the preparation of reports, records, lists and all other
paperwork required or appropriate to the school’s administration.
• Works with various members of the central administrative staff on school problems
of more than in-school import, such as transportation and special services.
• Keeps supervisor informed of events and activities of an unusual nature as well as
routine matters related to the supervisor’s accountability.
• Interprets and enforces district policies and administrative regulations.
• Maintains active relationships with students and parents.
• Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of ensuring an efficient
and effective working environment.
Teachers and all other personnel assigned to the school.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill
and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Elementary school education curriculum and instruction techniques.
• Administering and coordinating curriculum and instruction for the assigned school.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, students,
parents, and the public.
• Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Master’s degree in education, educational administration or a related area from an
accredited college or university. Previous administrative/supervisory experience preferred.
A minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching experience. Experience at the elementary
Indiana Certification for Elementary Administration/Supervision.
Required Testing: Drug Test
Clearances: Fingerprinting/Background Check
Human Resources Department
Certified: January 3, 2019
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYEE