Instructional Support Program Associate, Memphis
Position: Program Associate, Memphis
Reports to: Program Director, Memphis
Location: Memphis, TN
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
The Program Associate will be responsible for delivering Facing History and Ourselves’ program services for school/district agreements in the Memphis region and surrounding region, as well as general support for educators.
The Program Associate will support and coach trained teachers of the program, co-facilitate professional development workshops and seminars, document relationships and communications with educators and key constituencies in our organizational database, recruit new teachers and schools to explore and implement Facing History and Ourselves, and manage events or projects on a case-by-case basis. Some travel required for Memphis initiatives in the southeast and for organizational initiatives.
Who we are: The Memphis office is a small team with a large reach. We are passionate educators and care deeply about our community. Innovative and entrepreneurial, we constantly look for better ways to serve our teachers, our schools, and their students. We work closely together and depend on clear communication, commitment to each other as a team, and a positive energy.
Who you are: You share our passion for education, youth and the community, with an attention to equity and inclusion. You bring your experience and unique perspective to make us stronger together. You thrive in a team environment, bringing both strong collaboration skills and independent initiative. You have a constant curiosity, and an appreciation for all of Facing History’s core case studies. You are confident facilitating workshops and conversations that explore identity, racism, antisemitism and other challenging topics in diverse settings. You are equally comfortable building community face-to-face and online, and seek to be part of a team which is making a positive impact in the Memphis region.
- BA/BS; MA preferred
- Entrepreneurial and collegial style; ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Demonstrated and effective communication and facilitation skills
- Secondary classroom (grades 7-12) teaching experience required. Experience in large district, teaching underserved populations, and Ethnic Studies preferred.
- Experience with culturally responsive teaching, diversity and justice initiatives required.
- In-depth knowledge of European and US history required, preferred experience teaching the Holocaust and other examples of collective violence, the Civil Rights Movement and the history of race in America.
- Experience with literacy, writing/English/language arts/humanities, Common Core standards, and the Tennessee State Standards preferred.
- Familiarity with social emotional learning, whole school reform, school culture, and civic education.
- Coaching experience a plus.
- Fluency in online digital media literacy skills and comfort with integrating web-based and social media technologies for support of global network of teachers and students.
- Fluency in Google suite, slide creation for presentations, and some familiarity with the use of databases is preferred.
- Growth mindset in approaching work and a desire to deepen knowledge in Facing History content areas.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
- Ability to organize and execute tasks in a non-profit context.
- Interest in, and ability to articulate the mission of this non-profit.
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required
- Some travel required
Compensation and Benefits: In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
How to ApplyFacing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications only accepted online at facinghistory.org/careers. Job posted until filled.
86 total views, 1 today