Operations / Administration Project Lead, IS+ Espanol Engagement
The Center for New York City Affairs (CNYCA) is an applied research institute at The New School. CNYCA is homed at The Milano School of Policy, Management, and Environment within the Schools of Public Engagement. CNYCA is staffed by professional researchers and analysts and supported by graduate students. The Center’s mission is to drive innovation in urban social policy and improve conditions for low-income and working-class families in the neighborhood of New York City.
Building upon nearly 20 years serving New York City families, InsideSchools is now reimagining what it means to help families understand and navigate the public school system, while also advocating for lasting change. In September 2020, InsideSchools launched InsideSchools+, an online community where families offer and receive support with their school-related needs via discussion groups, online classes, and direct messaging. In the coming year, InsideSchools will continue expanding the services offered to Spanish-speaking families via InsideSchools+.
The Project Lead supports the expansion of InsideSchools+ as it seeks to better serve Spanish-speaking communities in New York City. This part-time position reports to the Director of Education Policy & Editor-in-Chief of InsideSchools.
This position is funded by and contingent upon external fundraising.
● Support the strategy, design, and implementation of online groups specifically geared toward Spanish speaking families in NYC.
● Recruit, train, and support a team of Spanish-speaking volunteer group facilitators who help families navigate the NYC school system and advocate for their children’s learning needs.
● Manage the professional translation of existing InsideSchools+ classes from English to Spanish (working with external vendor).
● Nurture relationships with key nonprofit partners who serve Spanish speaking families throughout the city.
● Shepherd the design, development, and implementation of online classes for Spanish speaking families in partnership with nonprofit partners.
● Engage online regularly with members of the InsideSchool+community, offering responses to members’ questions.
● Support the Spanish language promotion, communication, and marketing of InsideSchools+ and InsideSchools, including Facebook Group and Twitter.
● Coordinate Spanish language messaging related to NYC school admissions across communication channels, including website, newsletter, InsideSchools+, Facebook, and Twitter.
● Fluent in Spanish and English
● Excellent writing, editing, and digital communication skills
● Bachelor’s degree in public policy, education, social science, or related field
● 5-10 years experience leading projects in nonprofit or educational settings
● Organized and proactive team-player
● Knowledge of K-12 education and NYC public school system
● Master’s degree in public policy, education, social science, or related field
● Evidence of successful community organizing
● Evidence of designing and/or leading online classes