Operations / Administration Regional Development Director
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, seeks a regional development director to help us achieve our ambitious fundraising and expansion goals. Working closely with Chalkbeat’s revenue team, the regional development director will oversee the foundation and fundraising relationships in New York, Newark, Philadelphia, and other Chalkbeat’s markets.
The right candidate will be smart, organized, and entrepreneurial, with a track record of fundraising success. A passion for journalism and an understanding of its importance to democracy is preferred.
You don’t have to have lots of experience, as long as you are talented, energetic and great with people. Our ideal candidate is someone who is skilled at communications, grant writing and editing, funder and donor relations, project management, and relationship-building and maintenance.
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
This position will report to the chief revenue officer.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
- Owning relationships and communications with funders and major donors in New York, Newark, Philadelphia and up to three other markets.
- Building and cultivating major donors in new and existing markets.
- Serving as the final editor (and sometimes writer) on grant documents.
- Tracking fundraising goals and gap-closing strategy.
- Helping to strategize on fundraising and donor events and programs.
- Working independently as well as collaboratively as part of a close-knit and successful team.
What background and skills do you have?
- Grant writing and editing skills.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic thinking skills, with the ability to exercise creativity and initiative in achieving gift goals.
- Proven ability to raise and close major gifts.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the vision and mission of the organization.
- Proven project management and task management ability in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work in an environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
- Clear and compelling writing.
- Proficiency with office software, primarily the Google Suite.
- Passion for educational equity and the future of journalism is a must. Previous development experience at a nonprofit news organization or an education nonprofit is a strong plus, but not required.
- Five years professional fundraising/development strategic and practical experience is required with demonstrated record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree with significant work experience or a Master’s degree in a related field.
Ideally, you’d be based in Philadelphia or in New York City or Newark, where Chalkbeat bureaus already exist. Up to 40% travel is required.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.