Instructional Support Special Education Specialist
The NYC Special Education Collaborative is a program of the New York City Charter School Center. The NYC Special Education Collaborative was founded in 2011 as a citywide, nonprofit membership organization committed to supporting quality education programs for students with disabilities in charter schools. A result of the merger between four independent borough-based special education co-operatives, the Collaborative currently serves more than 185 of NYC’s charter schools. We provide professional development, instructional resources, on-the-ground support, virtual consultation, recruitment activities and technical assistance to schools so that they can build and maintain the capacity to meet a diverse student population. Ultimately, we empower schools to develop high quality and inclusive special education programs.
We are seeking an Education Specialist to coordinate and deliver supports for NYC charter schools, ultimately ensuring that schools have the tools, resources, technical assistance, training and collaboration necessary to successfully educate all students. The Specialist reports directly to and works closely with the Director of the NYC Special Education Collaborative. The individual who joins the Collaborative will have the opportunity to work with an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools with the capacity to successfully educate students with disabilities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Providing feedback and support through teacher, classroom and school observations across all five boroughs
• Developing trainings, professional development opportunities, and resources for schools on various education topics
• Providing technical assistance for school teams on special education supports
• Conducting comprehensive education audits to support school compliance needs
In order to be successful in this role, an ideal candidate should demonstrate the following:
• Expertise in best instructional practices for students with disabilities, specially designed instruction, intervention techniques, modified curriculum, IEP writing, and compliance
• Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, strong presentation delivery and public speaking experience
• Ability to create strong and authentic relationships with school leaders, special education leads, and teachers that support a diverse population of students
• Ability to mentor, develop, and motivate others to drive results
• Capacity to implement efficient systems and resources for supporting a large portfolio of schools
• Expert strategic-thinking skills: curiosity to solve complex problems and ability to think boldly to maximize new supports for schools
• Operate with a deep commitment to the work, core values, mission, and vision of the NYC Charter School Center and the Collaborative
• Motivated by an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and highly collaborative team environment
• Receptive to feedback, committed to continuous improvement, and passionate about professional growth
• Detail-oriented, organized, and highly motivated
• Determined to go “above and beyond” to support schools in ensuring all students have access to high quality programming
Experience and Educational Background
• Minimum of 4-5 years of education experience as a special educator working in an urban school, preferably a charter school
• A proven track record of exemplary achievement gains of students with diverse needs
• Experience managing or coaching other adults, especially focusing on instructional practices
• Experience delivering trainings and public speaking
What We Offer
The NYC Charter School Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance and a matching 401(K) plan.
How to ApplyPlease email a resume and cover letter to Edith Litt, Director of Administration, firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying please explain how our charter schools can benefit from your unique perspective, experiences and skill set.
554 total views, 1 today