Operations / Administration Talent & Recruitment Assistant
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization covering public education in America, is seeking a talent & recruitment assistant to support our efforts to hire, support and retain top talent.
We’re looking for someone who is excited to grow their skills in talent and HR operations and can work on tasks big and small to support our growing team. Our ideal candidate views recruitment and talent support from a customer service perspective and as a vital contribution to the organization’s mission.
You’ll join a supportive and tightly-knit operations team responsible for talent, finance, and systems development, and you’ll interact regularly with our newsroom, product, and development teams as part of our vibrant remote culture.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
Talent management support
- Posting jobs and screening applications
- Scheduling interviews and serving as a point of contact for candidates throughout the hiring process
- Managing our applicant tracking software and other talent-related systems
- Supporting new employee onboarding
- Providing logistics support for recruitment events
- Supporting the launch of new recruitment and talent initiatives, including projects focused on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Supporting special projects for the talent and/or operations teams as needed
General administrative support
- Scheduling and supporting a variety of team meetings ranging from our all-team retreat to weekly talent and operations meetings
- Researching and booking cost-effective and efficient travel
- Supporting our common documentation and resource sharing systems
This position will report to Chalkbeat’s Director of Operations and will also support a new Chief People Officer role.
- Great task management skills and problem-solving ability
- Strong organizational skills with superior attention to detail
- Strong customer service mindset
- Ability to use discretion when communicating about sensitive topics
- Ability to build trusting relationships with Chalkbeat’s diverse team
- Flexible and comfortable in a work environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve
- Proficient with office software and comfortable learning new technology systems
- At least 1-2 years of relevant work experience (e.g. nonprofit operations, human resources, executive support)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
The position will be based at our New York office, conveniently located near Penn Station.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 25 – January 1.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.