Instructional Support Teacher Leadership Coach
I. Overview of Teach Plus
Teach Plus is dedicated to the mission of empowering excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student success. Since 2009, Teach Plus has developed thousands of teacher leaders across the country to exercise their leadership in shaping education policy and improving teaching and learning, to create an education system driven by access and excellence for all.
II. Position Responsibilities
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Teacher Leadership Coach is a short-term, part-time (.75FTE) role with benefits with the potential to go full-time contingent upon funding. This opportunity is ideal for a skilled coach who is looking to lead and support K-12 teacher leaders from across Indiana in collaborative and sustained teacher-led professional development around teacher leadership and equity. The Teacher Leadership Coach also plays an instrumental role in building partnerships both in Indianapolis and across the state to expand instructional programs.
Currently, we have active partnerships with Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) and Kokomo Community Schools focused on developing teacher leaders as Change Agents in the schools and districts, while also building up the culture of teacher leadership through professional learning communities. Specifically, the Teacher Leadership Coach will be responsible for:
Coaching and Leadership Development
- Provide one-on-one coaching to Teacher Leaders working in partner schools or districts, helping teachers to set vision and goals to drive their projects.
- Execute learning goals designated by program design (e.g., quality of support, facilitation, and participant learning) for Teacher Leaders.
- Identify development opportunities, monitoring and evaluation of development progress, lessons learned & implications for Teacher Leader coaching.
- In partnership with National Coach, design and facilitate high-impact professional learning for Teacher Leaders.
- Support the ongoing growth and development of Teacher Leaders by doing the following:
- Monitoring Teacher Leaders progress toward goals
- Plan, attend, observe, and debrief coaching sessions (1:1 or cohort)
- Partner with National Coach to review and plan for ongoing teacher leader engagement
- Partner closely with identified district or organization to design and deliver content focused on teacher leadership and aligned to Teach Plus coaching models and overall program requirements.
- Manage existing instructional program partnerships to ensure that programs are meeting the needs of partners, by communicating regularly with partners as determined by program design and goals, including but not limited to updates, survey results, and program management.
● Lead data collection and measurement of impact as it pertains to relevant objectives like improving teacher practice and student outcomes; use data to meaningfully inform and make recommendations about any modifications or variations of the program.
● Collaborate with colleagues in other cities on analysis of data, and marketing and engagement strategies for all cities.
Recruitment & Selection
● Lead the recruitment & selection process to identify and select high-quality teacher leaders for participation in any classroom-based work in Indiana, as needed.
● Build a strategy and develop messaging to engage and recruit teachers interested in teacher leadership instructional practice programs and events.
● Collaborate with classroom-based colleagues in other sites to make continuous improvements to the recruitment and selection processes.
● Collaborate with Executive Director to identify high potential prospects for fee-for service opportunities in the charter sector and in traditional public schools.
● In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop relationships with key instructional leaders and other decision-makers within the high potential prospects pool.
● Determine professional development and other needs of high potential prospects and structure programming proposals for fee-for-service opportunities.
A successful candidate will have these qualities:
● 4+ years in the education field, with preference given to candidates who have both a teaching background and experience coaching teachers and school leaders
● Preference for experienced coaches who have led transformative change in instruction and/or school culture/climate in high-need schools
● Instructional coaching experience, with specific experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers and/or school leaders
● A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform instruction and make decisions
● Dedication to equity for students, and a deep belief in the power of teachers to bring about positive change
● Strong project management skills and the ability to complete projects independently
● Ability to translate the work into impact for external audiences to build our brand and expand our programs
● Comfort working in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous, and highly entrepreneurial environment
● Excellent written and oral communication skills, relationship-building, and interpersonal skills
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job with the potential to develop and succeed with coaching and support. We recognize that such a candidate may have a less traditional background or have different kinds of relevant experience. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
At Teach Plus, we are driven by our mission and our core values are a driving force behind everything we do: Leadership, Diversity and Equity, Solutions-orientation, Joy, Integrity in Practice, and Collaboration. We love what we do and we work hard to make a difference for teachers and students. We are smart, passionate, and engaged with one another. We are thought partners, collaborators, and constant learners.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. This position offers a full benefits package to include medical and dental insurance, retirement, disability, and generous vacation benefits.
Work hours and Commitment
This is a short-term, .75 FTE part-time position with benefits, with a tentative start date of March 2, 2020 or earlier based on candidate’s availability and end date of June 30, 2020, with the potential to be renewed and become full-time contingent on performance and funding. Candidates would need to commit to working 30 hours per week and be willing to work occasional nights and weekends to meet with teachers, partners, and facilitate cohort meetings. This role will involve travel to partner schools as needed.