Technology Technology Specialist, New Visions Charter High School
New Visions Charter High Schools (NVCHS) provide all students, regardless of their previous academic history, the highest quality education in an atmosphere of respect, responsibility and rigor. We ensure that our students have the skills and knowledge to graduate ready for college, pursue a career, and engage with the 21st century economy. We develop learning experiences that allow risk-taking, cultivate students’ imaginative and creative abilities, and celebrate achievement. Through an intensive study of math concepts in our math and science schools, and literature, English, social studies and arts in our humanities schools, students learn how to generate research questions, develop the skills necessary to answer those questions, create products that demonstrate understanding, and defend their knowledge publicly.
The Technology Manager will be responsible for coordinating and providing day to day support for school staff. The Technology Manager will maintain desktop and laptop environments, technology inventory and ensure that all equipment is up to date with patches and the latest versions of software using LANDesk Management Suite. The Technology Manager shall also contribute to the procurement of technology, creation of standards and driving software and services pilot programs and implementations.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Management
- Serve as the primary point of contact for technology support at school site and the secondary point of contact for a partner school;
- Provide end user support by performing installation, repair and preventative maintenance of user computers and related hardware/software within established standards and guidelines;
- Accurately log all support activities and acknowledge, troubleshoot and resolve all requests in a timely manner; escalate and follow through when necessary;
- Coordinate with the New Visions Technology Team and vendors to ensure the network, staff and student systems are running at optimal speeds;
- Communication and Client Management
- Identify and implement additional technology services and supports to help align technology with teaching and learning;
- Regularly meet with key staff to ensure technology alignment with school needs;
- Systems Management and Inventory
- Manage school-level platforms, systems, services and user accounts while retaining data integrity and security;
- Oversee the assessment, selection, implementation and management of non-standard technology and school-level systems that effectively forecast the growth of the school
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining staff and student accountability systems related to technology;
- Together with the Business Manager, coordinate selection and procurement of technology, including hardware, software and services;
- Maintain and monitor the inventory of technology assets, including licenses;
- Distribute and collect staff technology related to new hires and terminations;
- Knowledge Management
- Prepare and maintain system, administrator and user documentation;
- Share knowledge across the network of New Visions Charter High Schools using established practices and guidelines;
- Event Management
- Prepare, test, support and effectively manage school events, including annual Charter Lottery;
- Develop and facilitate learning sessions, provide support and execute the successful delivery of an annual network onboarding.
Required Skill Sets and Qualities
- Customer service oriented and ability to work with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized with strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to maintain current and up-to-date expertise in a wide range of hardware, software, services and Operating Systems;
- Ability to work independently as well as within the framework of a network;
- Ability to learn quickly prioritize and correct problems in a fast-paced environment;
Qualifications and Experience
- BA or BS and five years desktop support or help desk experience;
- Experience working in an urban school setting strongly preferred with previous charter school experience and/or working with young people, a plus;
- Experience with ITIL® or other Service Management frameworks helpful;
- Experience with Windows OS, Mac OS, Chrome OS and Google Apps desirable;
- Experience with remote desktop management systems helpful;
- Strong hardware/software troubleshooting skills with proficient knowledge of hardware components, Windows and Mac Operating systems;
- Experience using and managing a service desk ticketing system (creating, documenting, closing, etc.);
- Willingness to work non-standard hours as needed
- Additional responsibilities as needed to meet the needs of the organization
- Willingness to work non-standard hours as needed in order to support the technology needs to maintain a well-functioning school community
- This position is subject to a minimum PTO blackout date of three weeks prior to and including the network-wide summer onboarding event – approximately 28-49 days before Labor Day
- Occasional travel to partner school shall be required
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of New Visions that all employees and applicants for employment will be treated in all respects on the basis of their merit and qualifications and without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, military status, marital status, ancestry, or any other reason prohibited by law.
New Visions believes that our teams should reflect the diverse communities we serve and that our culture and internal structures should be inclusive and equitable for all employees. We also recognize that perspectives from communities that have been historically marginalized are critical to the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from individuals living in the communities that we serve or who are members of historically marginalized communities.
New Visions provides a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package in addition to the opportunity to make a significant impact on education reform and in the lives of urban youth.