Reporter or Editor 2018 Summer Internship – Detroit
Chalkbeat, the nonprofit education news organization, is seeking motivated undergraduate or graduate students to serve as summer reporting interns.
The 10-week paid internship from June-August 2018 will offer student journalists the opportunity to work alongside some of the nation’s top education journalists in a dynamic, rapidly growing organization. At a critical moment for an active independent press, join us as we build an organization working to sustain journalism that matters.
Interns will work 40-hour weeks and will have the opportunity to undertake daily education news assignments, to work on enterprise stories, and to participate in the life of our reporting teams in every way.
Who are you?
You’re energized by our mission and excited to help us build a news organization that re-imagines daily newsgathering while embracing traditional journalistic values. You have a passion for public policy and social issues journalism, strong reporting and writing skills, and comfort working in digital media. You’re an entrepreneurial, creative, energetic, and tenacious reporter.
What background and skills do you have?
- Clips that demonstrate strong reporting and writing skills
- Significant high school, college or professional journalism experience
- A high level of comfort with the exciting opportunities and challenges inherent in working in a high-energy start-up environment
- Passion for and curiosity about education is a must; knowledge of education issues such as standards, school choice, and segregation is a strong plus, but not required.
- Access to a car is desirable but not required.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in six locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to ApplySubmit the following to email@example.com, and include “Summer 2018 Internship” in the subject line.
- Links to or PDFs of five relevant clips
- A PDF of your resume
- A PDF of your cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it.