Reporter or Editor 2019 Summer Internship
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, is seeking motivated undergraduate or graduate students to serve as summer reporting interns. Our reporting teams cover schools in seven places — Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, Newark, and New York City — and we have a national bureau covering education issues affecting schools across the country.
The 10-week paid internship from June to August 2019 will offer student journalists the opportunity to work alongside some of the nation’s top education journalists in a dynamic, rapidly growing organization. At a critical moment for an active independent press, join us as we build an organization working to sustain journalism that matters.
Interns will work 40-hour weeks and will have the opportunity to undertake daily education news assignments, work on enterprise stories, and participate in the life of our reporting teams in every way.
Learn more about what it’s like to be an intern at Chalkbeat here.
Who are you?
You’re energized by our mission and excited to help us build a news organization that reimagines daily newsgathering while embracing traditional journalistic values. You have a passion for public policy and social issues journalism, strong reporting and writing skills, and comfort working in digital media. You’re an entrepreneurial, creative, energetic, and tenacious reporter.
What background and skills do you have?
- Clips that demonstrate strong reporting and writing skills
- Meaningful high school, college, or professional journalism experience
- Passion for and curiosity about education is a must; knowledge of education issues is a strong plus
- Ability to report in a language other than English is a plus
- Experience working with data, social media, and digital production is a plus
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to ApplySubmit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Summer 2019 Internship” in the subject line.
- Five clips that best exemplify your work
- A PDF of your resume
- A PDF of your cover letter explaining your interest in the position, where you heard about it, and any preferences among our locations. Access to a car is desirable at our Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Memphis bureaus.
1974 total views, 24 today