Teacher 3-5 Grade Teacher
Who we are:
VOICE Charter School (www.voicecharterschool.org/) is an elementary and middle school located in Long Island City, Queens that serves students across grades K-8.
Our mission is to create a safe and healthy learning environment that nurtures, motivates and challenges all of our children to achieve the highest level of academic excellence and to develop into mindful, responsible, contributing participants in their education, and communities. Through rigorous academics and daily instruction in music, we cultivate students’ creative and critical thinking abilities.
What you’ll be doing:
● Collaborating with colleagues in developing purposeful and engaging daily and long-term plans that reflect differentiation and accommodations needed for the growth and success of all students.
● Utilizing student IEPs to inform instructional assessments that provide meaningful measurements of students’ growth towards goals
● Keeping families well-informed of student performance and progress through professional communication methods
● Integrating feedback and goal-setting into lesson delivery
● Demonstrating commitment to creating an inclusive environment for all students
● Supporting Classroom Assistants with bussing, arrivals, dismissals, and transitions
● Deep belief in VOICE’s mission, vision, and values
● Open to collaborating with and learning from colleagues who have a variety of backgrounds, experiences, strengths, and talents
● Successfully able to handle multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment, and ability to be self-directed and take initiative
● Attentive to detail
● Have a knowledge and understanding of basic principles of curriculum design, child learning theory and behavioral approaches
● Value and are committed to diversity in the workplace and classroom
● Effective skills in self-management including but not limited to meeting deadlines, effective prioritization of tasks, self-organization, managing up, and efficient time and task management
● Ability to establish communication and build warm individual relationships with students and families, colleagues, and external partners
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required
● New York State teaching certification required. VOICE will also consider (a) strong candidates who are completing or have recently completed a NY State teacher training program and who can show that they will be fully certified by the first day of employment, and (b) strong candidates with teacher training or credentials/licenses from another state who can demonstrably commit to working toward and achieving NY State teaching certification by a reasonable deadline.
● Teaching or student teaching experience in a school required
● Experience with and interest in working with high needs students preferred
● SpEd certification is preferred but not required
What you’ll enjoy:
● A competitive total rewards package that values your experience and credentials, your work-life balance and sustainability to serve VOICE students and families to your best abilities, as well as your learning and development as a person and professional, including:
○ Participation in the New York City Teachers Retirement System pension program
○ 3 or more prep periods per day to ensure you have time to collaborate with your colleagues, develop/adjust your lessons for your students, and other miscellaneous tasks
○ Comprehensive benefits package, including participation in a pre-tax commuter benefits program and partial reimbursement for monthly commuting expenses
○ Gym reimbursement
○ Cultural enrichment reimbursement
○ Access to tickets at a free or reduced cost to numerous events throughout New York
○ Paid maternity leave, child care leave, and other generous leave policies
○ Benefits options include: Choice of four (4) Medical plans, FSA/HSA and Dependent Care FSA accounts, vision insurance as well as fully paid dental, life and disability insurance
○ Many opportunities to get to know your VOICE colleagues!
How to Apply: Please submit an electronic application (including a VOICE-specific cover letter and resume) at https://voicecharterschool.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
VOICE Charter School values diversity and inclusion in our community of adults and children.
Essential to the actualization of VOICE’s mission, vision and values is a commitment to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, creativity, innovation, unique capabilities and talents represents a significant part of VOICE’s successes as a school and organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In its employment decisions, VOICE does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law.