Instructional Support Academic Support Coordinator
Are you ready to be a part of growing non-profit organization located in the city of Detroit? At Give Merit, we are preparing for an exciting period of growth as a direct result of our successful mission and vision dedicated to serving youth. To ensure our continued success, we are seeking a Academic Success Coordinator.
We are looking for an Academic Success Coordinator to join our team and meet the academic needs of FATE students. To ensure success, this person will have a clear understanding of the organization’s core values. Top candidates will have experience in teaching, classroom management, and working with youth from under-resourced communities. They will thrive in a fast-paced environment, can build/cultivate relationships, and pay close attention to details.
Give Merit was Founded in 2011 and is the nonprofit arm of a cause-based fashion brand, Merit. The organization has worked intensively with Detroit high school students from the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (JRLA) through its program called FATE. This eight-year cohort-based program provides innovative programming blending project-based learning, character development, career introduction, and mentorship into a co-curricular experience that emphasizes the value of education and the role it plays in providing access to achieving long-term career and personal goals. Students begin the program in the 9th grade and participate through their college graduation.
One hundred percent of FATE students have graduated from high school and received acceptances to colleges/universities! Currently, approximately 150 youth are served by Give Merit’s FATE HS and Alumni programs and Give Merit has awarded over $200,000 in scholarship funds.
If this sounds like a great fit, learn more about the essential job functions of the role below:
- Develop a deep knowledge of Merit’s/Give Merit’s history, purpose, and goals to create platforms for young people to create the future
FATE HS Program
- Establish a culture of high expectations that ensures all participating students meet their projected growth goals
- Create and implement innovative and interactive lesson plans/activities that blend real-life elements with core subject matters such as English/Writing, Math, Science, and Social Studies
- Develop student assessments in accordance with best practices
- Assess students and personalize support based on data and each student’s needs
- Communicate regularly with FATE cohort leads and HS Program Director on student progress
- Provide weekly office hours for additional access to personalized help
- Track student attendance data
FATE Alumni Program
- Provide regular office hours for FATE alumni students to access support and guidance in completing schoolwork (i.e. studying for exams, writing papers, etc.)
To qualify for this role, you must meet the following:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Credential required OR Enrolled in an accredited teacher licensing program
- Experience teaching in a classroom
- Knowledge of child cognitive development and various learning styles
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative student data
- Strength in using data to drive instruction
- Passion for serving the Detroit community, especially youth
- Effective written & verbal communication skills
- Extremely strong attention to details
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Familiarity with Google applications (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive)
- Experience with coordinating volunteers, youth, or events (preferred)
Give Merit is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We provide health benefits, earned time off benefits, as well as the promotion of a flexible work environment that values work/life balance to include summer half-day Fridays.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
$40,000 – $45,000 Annual
Ability to commute/relocate:
Detroit, MI 48204: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required). Some travel may be required.