Operations / Administration Activism Associate
WELCOME TO BRIGHTBEAM!
Brightbeam is a nonprofit network of education activists demanding a better education and a brighter future for every child. Using the power of communications, we shine a light on communities that challenge decision-makers to provide the learning opportunities all children need to thrive. We help strong voices tell powerful stories that unite and move their communities to action. Brightbeam amplifies these stories through a variety of digital platforms, including Education Post, Citizen Ed, Project Forever Free, and more than 20 local and regional sites that spotlight education issues nationally. We also sponsor on-the-ground initiatives, projects or organizations that align with our mission.
To learn more, visit brightbeamnetwork.org.
The Activism Associate reports to the National Director of Activism and provides essential administrative expertise to the Activism Team, enabling the Activism Team and other leadership staff to focus on the vision, relationship building, and creative work vital to brightbeam’s effort to shine a light on communities that are challenging decision-makers to provide the learning opportunities every child needs to thrive.
This individual utilizes good judgment, discretion, and superior organizational skills to manage a broad range of administrative responsibilities for the Activism Team and also contributes to program activities and events.
Paramount to this position are superior interpersonal and communication skills, a positive and helpful attitude and the ability to anticipate needs and initiate and implement solutions on behalf of the National Director of Activism and the entire Activism Team.
The full-time salary range for Associate roles is between $40,000 to $60,000, with exact salary depending on experience and new staff rarely starting at the top of the range. We also offer excellent benefits, including an additional 3% employer contribution to your retirement fund with no match required.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports the National Director of Activism + team by scheduling meetings, calls, events, and preparing the Activism Team in advance of meetings
- Send daily calendar and other reminders to National Director of Activism via email & Slack
- Creates and manages organizational systems for the Activism Team
I.e.: systems for recruitment, onboarding/training, and monitoring progress toward goals
- Works closely and effectively with the National Director of Activism to keep him/her well informed of system updates and monitoring which in the future will include reconciling expenses
- Works with Deputy Director of Activist Development to create and maintain goal-tracking systems for activists in the field
- Compiles documents, provides note-taking on all calls, and maintains records for meetings, professional development opportunities, and events
- Provides logistical support and travel arrangements for National Director of Activism and Activism Team when travel is reestablished
- Responds to a broad range of internal and external inquiries and requests
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & QUALIFICATIONS
- A proven track record of successful administrative experience
Superior understanding of principles of sound administrative procedures and practices
- Ability to manage several projects at once and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software, Google Calendar, and Google Mail
- Proficiency with Mac computers and data management/database programs, ie: Dropbox & Slack
- Familiarity with online video and marketing tools is a plus, including Zoom, Mailchimp, and WordPress, as well as social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Excellent attention to detail, communication, interpersonal, time-management, and organizational skills
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality, discretion, and professionalism
- Exceptional writing, grammar, proofreading, and editing abilities
- Strong desire and ability to collaborate and work closely with others
- Experience working virtually a plus, but not necessary
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. Our top priority is finding the best candidate for the job and if you are interested in the position, we would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.