Instructional Support Assistant Director, Strategic Project Management
Colorado Education Initiative (CEI) is seeking an Assistant Director, Strategic Project Management to join CEI’s implementation team in our efforts to support Colorado school districts to equitably, predictably, and reliably produce graduates who have developed academic, personal, professional, entrepreneurial, and civic competence by providing high-level project management support for CEI’s multi-year, multi-district projects; supporting the transition between project acquisition and project launch for new projects; and progress monitoring impacts and outcomes of implementation efforts.
The ideal candidate for this role is skilled at high-quality project design and project management and has experience leading teams to do their best work. The candidate embodies CEI’s mindsets for change: dream big, act small, and pivot quickly; embrace constant learning and adaptation; be flexible, nimble, and purposeful in our work; and be partner- and service-oriented. This person is drawn to working in K-12 public education systems – supporting districts and schools to implement breakthrough strategies, plans, and initiatives to improve outcomes and experiences for all students. This position will report to the Vice President, Implementation Design. There is flexibility in the start date for this position – starting as early as April or as late as June to align with school year calendars as needed.
About Colorado Education Initiative
CEI is at the forefront of improvement, innovation, and change in Colorado’s public education system. CEI is a statewide nonprofit organization that invests time, expertise, and dollars in K-12 public education. For 15 years, CEI has worked with educators as an inspired and supportive partner on the ground in over 150 urban, suburban, and rural school districts. CEI works as an implementation expert, innovation thought leader, and statewide convener in public education. Our mission is to accelerate improvement and innovation in Colorado schools. Our vision is a future in which every student in Colorado is prepared and unafraid to succeed in school, work, and life, and ready to take on the challenges of today, tomorrow, and beyond. We currently partner deeply in over 60 Colorado school districts and have limited work in other states in the region. In addition to our field implementation work, we engage in important policy and innovation agendas in Colorado. Our success is driven by a passionate team of diverse individuals who truly enjoy working together.
Of note, we are committed to prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the work we support across Colorado. We seek to identify and embed equity-seeking practices in our culture and talent systems and have made a focused set of investments in the related professional development of our team. We believe our work demands this because of the historic and current experiences in the school systems in which we operate and because we believe the outcomes we seek for students require the prioritization of equity. In all roles, we welcome candidates who are eager to participate in and contribute to this work and whose lived experiences deepen our perspectives on the education system.
• Design and implement systems and structures to seamlessly move from project acquisition to project launch, including creating collateral, integrating with all involved teams, and managing participant recruitment.
• Design project plans in partnership with the project teams that include periodic opportunities to reflect on work and implement needed changes in process.
• Ensure project plans are aligned to budget.
• Work with project lead to facilitate project launches.
• Lead and refine projects’ theory of action.
Project Implementation and Management
• Convene project launches with relevant team members and ensure follow-through.
• Manage daily project activities against project plans; hold project team members accountable to completing activities against timely deadlines.
• Manage and streamline project communications with district and school partners.
• Identify and raise areas of concern to project leads/owners.
• Lead ongoing assessment and implementation of CEI’s project management tools.
• Support project leaders to develop activity and event agendas.
• Coordinate budget management activities and ensure on-time completion of grant deliverables.
• Lead event management (in partnership with others as assigned).
• Work with Communications Team to proactively plan project communications and leverage emerging opportunities throughout the course of the project in alignment with CEI’s strategic communications plan.
• Support project teams to communicate results, feedback, and learning internally and externally, including supporting data collection efforts as needed.
• Lead reflection and internal learning activities, such as After-Action Reviews or Project Stock Takes.
Learning, Collaboration, and Thought Partnership
• Learn new approaches and processes and apply them within and outside of personal areas of expertise to advance the work of CEI and our partners.
• Actively and eagerly partner with colleagues inside and outside of CEI to advance shared goals.
• Embody CEI’s culture of positivity and customer service internally and externally.
• Contribute to the learning, practices, and approaches developed and implemented by CEI and its partners.
Qualifications and Competencies
This position requires strong project design and management skills, interpersonal communication, strategic organization and systems-building, and the ability to anticipate and take initiative to predict and solve problems. A successful candidate will have:
• A proven track record as a successful project manager, preferably in a nonprofit, school, or district setting
• Strength in building and maintaining systems and structures while allowing for adaptability and flexibility as contexts and needs shift
• Willingness to travel up to 10% of the time to work with school and district partners across the state
• Full-time position
• Annual salary commensurate with experience in a range of $80,000-$90,000
• Competitive benefits package
• Hybrid work environment including flexible scheduling and work-from-home options (with regular need to attend in-person meetings in Denver and across the state)