Principal or Vice Principal Assistant Principal (Elementary School)
Bilingual Elementary Assistant Principal
School in the Square (S2), an independent charter school in Washington Heights and Inwood. We integrate the core values of democratic living with best-practice teaching and learning ensuring that each child and educator feels known, heard, and safe as well as challenged, empowered, and engaged. Our community is grounded in principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusivity (JEDI), enacting a culturally responsive and sustaining lens to our pedagogical practice. We now need a dedicated, mission aligned Assistant Principal to help build and lead the Elementary School
Our Vision For This New Position
Our bilingual elementary assistant principal, reporting to our Principal and in collaboration with a diverse and committed School Leadership Team (SLT) will spearhead our efforts to ensure high academic standards with a focus on the social-emotional needs of all students in a dual language setting. Our assistant principal is grounded in the core values and principles of dual language education and can help support the growth of our new program. This individual will be an exceptional manager, motivating leader, and a strong relationship builder, who has demonstrated exceptional outcomes in a similarly mission-aligned school setting.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Principal:
- Promotes a school environment that is safe and conducive to individualized instruction, student voice and student learning.
- Leads colleagues in their professional growth through modeling effective practices, articulating connections between instructional choices and student outcomes, coaching, observing instruction and providing actionable feedback
- Prepares master schedule, teacher schedules and student schedules and organizes extra curricular activities
- Encourages parental involvement and ensures effective communication with students and parents
- Organizes the work of teacher teams and creates ongoing opportunities for shared leadership regarding protocols, team leader roles and collaborative strategies
- Guides and supports the implementation of our assessment system and supports the staff in being strategic in the use of data to inform and improve instruction
- Works collaboratively with Leadership to develop both long-term and short-term strategic plans to support school growth and improvement
- Involves staff in the evaluation of programs and the planning of new programs.
- An expert of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, with knowledge of dual – language, co- teaching strategies and differentiation to meet individual student needs
- A consummate coach who gets personal fulfillment by succeeding through others and developing leaders
- Motivated by challenges and bring a positive tone, an eye for solutions and an energy for rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever needs to be done.
- An exceptional communicator in both written and verbal interactions; clear, concise, and courageous in giving tough but supportive feedback when needed
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills, with an ability to manage concurrent projects and priorities effectively
- A deep belief that all students can thrive in a challenging, high-quality, nurturing and supportive learning environment
- An authentic commitment to the S2 mission and school model
- A Master’s Degree in Education and New York State Certification and/or NYS SBL Certification
- A minimum of five years of successful classroom teaching and two years of previous experience in leadership
- Experience with restorative practices, have strong beliefs in anti racism education, culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy, trauma informed practices.
Compensation and Benefits
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 is a collegial organization that values its staff and encourages innovation and professional growth.
We provide an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life & long-term disability insurance, a 401K program with a 6% organizational contribution, generous paid time off, and a friendly work environment.