Principal or Vice Principal Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction
Colorado High School Charter is seeking an Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction at our Osage campus in Denver, Colorado for the 2021-22 school year. In partnership with a number of community organizations, Colorado High School provides students with a unique and innovative learning environment that allows them to focus on engaging and relevant core content classes (Math, Science, Social Studies and English Language Arts) while taking advantage of numerous post-secondary exploration opportunities, such as concurrent enrollment and community partner classes and programs.
Colorado High School Charter Overview
Mission: Colorado High School Charter is transforming the alternative education experience by igniting the potential within each of the diverse young people we serve. CHSC ensures students’ personal and academic growth by creating tailored curricula, a supportive school environment, and community partnerships. We empower our students to succeed in life and positively contribute to their families and communities by offering them the freedom and resources to pursue a post-secondary path aligned with their individualized goals.
Vision: Schools that Empower People
Core Values: Relationships, High Expectations, Growth, Inclusivity, Wellness, Third-fourth-fifth Way
About: Colorado High School Charter (CHSC) is one of the leading alternative education campuses in Denver, serving students in grades 9-12. As an educator at CHSC, you will have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with your students while receiving regular coaching and professional development to allow you to deliver exceptional instruction for students who are looking for a small, supportive and relevant school setting.
What makes teaching at CHSC unique?
- Constant learning through weekly coaching and professional development focused on culturally sustaining and inclusive practices
- A focus on student personal and academic growth achieved through relevant and intentionally created curricula, a supportive school environment and community partnerships
- Social emotional support for students to remove barriers in and out of the classroom so ALL students can be successful
- A positive culture that regularly celebrates student and staff achievement
- We are in demand. Students are consistently referred to our schools and word is spreading about the amazing work we do.
What do we look for in candidates?
- You are passionate about education in an alternative education setting where we recognize our students are looking for a school experience that is different than a traditional, comprehensive high school. We build off of best practices that work for our students AND have the autonomy and support to be innovative in our practices.
- You are excited about Colorado High School’s mission.
- You recognize the value of learning through real-world application and are eager to help all students consider a range of satisfying career paths.
- You are excited about the opportunity to engage students inside and outside of the classroom through the creation of relevant curricula and programming.
- You have experience or a strong desire to work with young people who have struggled personally or academically in conventional school settings.
- You are tenacious about your own professional growth and have the ability to seek and apply feedback to improve your practice.
- You’re entrepreneurial, innovative and willing to do “whatever it takes.”
- You value developing trusting and often transformative relationships with students.
- You are a team player who helps create a positive and vibrant school culture for both staff and students.
Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction
The Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction will manage development and implementation of CHSC curriculum, including coaching, feedback, formal observations and evaluations, Professional Development for classroom educators, Scope and Sequence Review and Approval, and Culturally Relevant Teaching. They will directly supervise and manage all Teachers, Teacher Leaders, and ELL staff. The AP will also manage test administration of the PSAT/SAT and ACCESS exams. The AP of Curriculum and Instruction will manage Homeroom implementation. They will ensure CHSC is meeting new graduation requirements. The Instructional AP will assist with HR needs, particularly involving teachers. They will be an important part of the Crisis Management Team.
- In conjunction with Principal, hold and lead educational and organizational vision, culture, and values.
- Constantly monitor data to make decisions that impact the School Performance Framework results including: Student Growth, Student Achievement, Student Engagement and Family Satisfaction.
- Lead development of organizational and educational policies.
- Assist with administrative duties such as calendar management, bell schedules and scheduling.
- Support Principal in formal performance evaluation process, including the gathering of data and delivery of feedback.
- Network with other charter schools and gain exposure to educational best practices.
- Manage instructional professional development, including implementation of New Educator Induction, All Educator In Services, and support Teacher Leaders and PLCs
- Review and approve Scope and Sequences
- Manage Teachers, Team Leads, & ELL staff
- Participate in regular teacher observation and feedback cycle, tracking progress and data
- Support curriculum development and instructional approach with a focus on Culturally Relevant Teaching & Post Secondary Readiness.
- Manage Homeroom
Student Success and Achievement
- Develop individual relationships with students through mentorship, classroom presence, and an “open door” policy.
- In conjunction with Dean and Assistant Principal of Culture, maintain safety and security of school population and property, including supervision of students before school, after school and during lunch.
- Support resolution of conflicts between teachers and students.
- Participate in the school crisis team and manage before, during and after incidents
- Manage teams in charge of G&T and READ Plans
Human Resources Management
- Supervise staff, including training and professional development, weekly one-on-one and group supervision meetings as needed.
- Recruit teaching and non-teaching staff members, including creating job postings, interviewing, and hiring.
- Lead training of new teachers.
Standardized Testing Compliance
- Manage assessment and standardized testing with an emphasis on MAPs, ACCESS and CMAS
- Support SAT/PSAT preparation plan and implementation
- Data collection and analysis of testing results
Community Partnerships and Relationships
- Sustain strong community partnerships that enhance learning opportunities for students and teachers
- Represent CHSC within DPS, the Colorado League of Charter Schools and the local community.
- Represent CHSC at local and national charter school and educational conferences.
- Support Principal in CHSC marketing, advertising, press opportunities.
- Attend and complete relevant professional development training opportunities to learn about effective and developing educational practices.
- Support commitment to diversity and multiculturalism and promote inclusion and awareness around topics of race, ethnicity, and gender.
- Assist Principal with renewal process.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal
- Bachelor’s degree in education required
- Experience in curriculum development
- Classroom teaching experience
- Demonstrated leadership in educational setting
- Experience working with at-risk youth and multicultural populations
- Demonstrated expertise and excellence in oral and written communications, public speaking, training, conflict resolution, supervision and negotiation
- Intermediate to advanced computer software skills
- Administration and education experience of at least three (3) years
- Capacity to appreciate and nurture a variety of pedagogies and skills that contribute to student success
- A commitment to teaching, learning, and student success
- Certified school administrator and/or Master’s degree
The starting salary for this position is between $65,000 and $85,000 depending on education and experience. The maximum salary for this position is $93,000. A comprehensive benefits package is included. Teachers are eligible for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
Submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Colorado High School Charter is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and school needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local law. Colorado High School Charter believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our schools’ success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.