Principal or Vice Principal Bilingual Assistant Principal of Student Support
School in the Square (S2), an independent charter school in Washington Heights. We integrate the core values of democratic living with best-practice teaching and learning ensuring that each child and educator feels known, heard, and safe as well as challenged, empowered, and engaged. Our community is grounded in principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusivity (JEDI), enacting a culturally responsive and sustaining lens to our pedagogical practice.
Our vision for this new position
Our Bilingual Assistant Principal of Student Support (APSS), reporting to our Principal and in collaboration with a diverse and committed School Leadership Team (SLT) will spearhead our efforts to reinforce and strengthen a schoolwide culture built on care, rigor and anti-racism to ensure the social-emotional and academic needs of all students.
Specifically you will work in three main areas:
Strategy and Communication
- Use a systems-thinking approach to analyze quantitative and qualitative data that will leverage successes and identify opportunities for change within the organization.
- Incorporate justice, equity, diversity, inclusion and cultural competency frameworks into all aspects of strategy, implementation, and communication.
- Build strong relationships across all demographics of people.
- Clearly communicate new and existing policies to all stakeholders.
School culture sets the tone for the school. The APSS will utilize our mission to guide our school community through the implementation of policies and programs that help sustain and shape the culture. The APSS will support students to uphold community expectations around academic progress and social emotional skill development while maintaining a positive tone and climate for the school.
- Use a Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) to monitor student engagement, attendance and student achievement to address the needs of the whole child.
- Enact restorative practices and the development of social emotional capacities in students.
- Support the day-to-day operations of the school
Leader and role model for staff
As a member of the leadership team, the APSS will support the growth of teachers through observations, feedback and professional development. Additionally, the APSS will work alongside and supervise the Social-Emotional Team including the Dean of School Culture.
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of our SEL program in developing students as critical thinkers who are prepared to face challenges that pose barriers to their success.
- Mentor staff, providing specific actionable feedback to foster the professional growth of faculty members in formal and informal ways.
- Motivated by challenges and bring a positive tone, an eye for solutions and an energy for rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever needs to be done.
- A consummate coach who gets personal fulfillment by succeeding through others and developing leaders
- Deeply responsible and accountable with a strong attention to detail and organization
- Always questioning the status quo, as you look for opportunities to innovate within the SEL team and across the organization.
- An exceptional communicator in both written and verbal interactions; clear, concise, and courageous in giving tough but supportive feedback when needed
- A Master’s Degree in Education and New York State Certification and/or NYS SBL Certification
- A minimum of five years of successful classroom teaching and two years of previous experience in leadership
- Experience with restorative practices, have strong beliefs in anti racism education, culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy, trauma informed practices.
Compensation and Benefits
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 is a collegial organization that values its staff and encourages innovation and professional growth.
We provide an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life & long-term disability insurance, a 401K program with a 6% organizational contribution, generous paid time off, and a friendly work environment.