Teacher Certified Teacher
Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter Schools (www.freedomprep.org) comprise a high-performing PreK-12 charter school network in Memphis, TN. Our mission is to prepare all students in grades K-12 to excel in college and in life. We accomplish our mission through providing a highly structured, academically rigorous environment where students master core subjects, develop advanced academic skills, and demonstrate the school’s core values of: Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Excellence, and Community.
Freedom Preparatory Academy was established in August of 2009 with a class of nearly 100 6th graders. We now serve nearly 1,800 students in grades PreK-12. In 2019, as we celebrate our 10th year of providing a quality education for students in low-income/underserved communities, we are proud to see our students exceed local and state averages in Math and local averages in English language arts. We have received numerous awards year after year for being one of the top schools for growth in the city and state of TN. In 2018, 100% of our 2nd graduating class were accepted to four-year colleges and universities!
We have three core beliefs that drive our mission: Every child deserves the right to a high-quality public education, a foundation in character development is essential, and direct exposure to an array of opportunities and experiences provides each child with the self-confidence and social knowledge to compete globally.
JOB TITLE: Teachers (K-12th Grade – All Subjects)
ACCOUNTABILITY: Head of School
Freedom Preparatory Academy seeks Kindergarten through 12th-grade teachers for our growing network of high-performing charters schools. We are looking for teachers in all content areas, including but not limited to Math, English Language Arts, Science, History, Social Studies, Fine Arts, Foreign Languages. As a teacher at Freedom Prep, you will be expected to both introduce and help students develop mastery of concepts as measured through assessments administered consistently throughout the year. These skills and concepts will be presented in a variety of ways that convey a thorough understanding and execution of the content.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Freedom Preparatory Academy welcomes teachers who are relentless in their aim to see student growth and who want to hone their skills as effective teachers in the classroom. Below are some of the tasks required of teachers:
• We foster an environment that values collaboration, professional development, and ample communication with parents and other staff members
• Embodies the characteristics that the school wishes the students to uphold, especially respect, responsibility, integrity, excellence, and community (core values)
• Fosters children’s positive view of self
• Reinforces respect for and acceptance of diversity of all kinds
• Works closely with the Head of School, Assistant Head of School, and Dean of Students to develop and implement strategies for all students to reach success
• Reinforces school-wide rules and expectations in the classroom and lesson planning
• Communicates effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families and colleagues
• Maintains the school culture of high academic and behavioral expectations through continuous reflection
• Supports children’s learning through social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development.
• Completes other tasks as assigned by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School
• Creates a safe and accepting environment in which children can learn and grow
• Acts as a team player supporting events outside of school hours
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Master’s Degree preferred.
• Tennessee Professional Educator License preferred.
• Eligibility for Tennessee Professional Educator License required.
• Two to four years of urban teaching and educational leadership experience is preferred
• Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with low skill level in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting
• Energy and entrepreneurial spirit for a transformation charter school
• Unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenges
• Results-driven educational leader with a commitment to standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
• Good problem-solving ability and good judgment
• Familiarity with cultural diversity
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff, families, and community members
• Ability to be creative, resourceful, and reflective
• Possess strong interpersonal skills
• Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
START DATE An exceptional candidate will assume a full-time role late June/early July 2019.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY Freedom Preparatory Academy is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced team of educators. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are an equal opportunity employer.