Operations / Administration Chief Development Officer
Elevate 215 is a catalyst for preparing students for the world of tomorrow by modernizing the
learning experience in Philadelphia schools today. We do this by investing in schools and talent, collaborating with our partners, expanding access and resources for families, and advocating to create the conditions for success. Elevate 215 is seeking a Chief Development Officer who will lead the organization in establishing a strategic vision to secure the financial resources needed for sustainability and growth.
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for the comprehensive development of Elevate 215’s five-year $60M+ campaign plan and for leading the overall fundraising strategy to meet the organizational mission of investing in 50+ schools, developing 500+ educators, and elevating outcomes for 25,000 students. The CDO will collaborate with the Executive Director to manage existing funding relationships, to identify and cultivate new relationships, and to diversify revenue streams.
The Chief Development Officer will be responsible for:
Strategic Campaign Planning
- Creating short and long- term strategic campaign plans to ensure Elevate 215 secures the funding needed to meet its mission.
- Establishing performance metrics and annual revenue goals for the fundraising department, monitoring results and fundraising trends and using that information to nimbly adjust course.
- Supporting the Board, the Executive Director and Senior Leadership in fundraising, serving as the primary resource on fundraising best practices and relevant philanthropy trends.
- Fostering a culture of philanthropy at Elevate 215 and among Board members and friends of the organization.
A Relationship-Based Fundraising Approach
- Working closely with the Executive Director to ensure authentic relationships with donors are built and stewarded; investing donors in seeing Elevate 215’s strategy as a key lever to modernizing the learning experience in schools across Philadelphia and desiring to engage as partners in the mission.
- Managing a portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Developing a systemic and strategic approach of personal meetings, outreach and follow up to ensure all donors and prospects are consistently meaningfully engaged; developing strategies to enhance the donor solicitation process and stewardship.
- Implementing a strategic and aggressive approach to diversify funding sources including identifying potential new corporate, individual and foundation donors and developing tailored plans for engagement.
- Developing, structuring and leading a resource development team.
- Intentionally building the skills and abilities of the resource development team in key areas (grants, communications, stewardship, major gifts, events, donor relations, operations, etc.).
- Overseeing the operations function (including but not limited to materials production, data management, issuing correspondence, gift processing, research, event and meeting support), constantly evaluating for greater impact and efficiencies.
- Overseeing the grant writing function, providing leadership and guidance on expanding Elevate 215’s portfolio of grant makers and determining approach and data needed for proposal writing, constantly evaluating for greater impact and efficiencies.
- Equipping the Board of Directors and the Development Committee with tools needed to become champions of the mission of Elevate 215 and to introduce new donors to the organization, providing guidance and support as needed.
- Staffing the Development Committee and engaging Board members to assist with fundraising.
- Reporting to the Board at and in between Board meetings, clearly sharing successes and challenges and actively engaging Board Members as partners.
- Creating annual communications plan, providing relevant, strategic and timely communications with the Board of Directors, Board Committees, volunteers, staff members, and donors.
- Leading the development of effective development tools and resources (including but not limited to: presentations, prospectuses and annual reports, other printed and interactive marketing communications).
- Interpreting multiple forms of data and creating honest and compelling stories about the progress and impact of investments.
- Maintaining accountability and ensuring compliance with all regulations and laws.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Required Skill and Abilities
- Deep commitment to the mission and vision of Elevate 215 and its role in achieving educational equity for all children in Philadelphia.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written, and a passion to develop relationships with stakeholders.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders.
- Superb project management and problem-solving skills with the ability to translate data insights into actionable solutions.
- Evidence of background in interpreting multiple forms of data and creating honest and compelling stories about the progress and impact of investments using analytics.
- Skilled at managing a team and multiple work streams toward measurable outcomes. Track record in hiring and coaching staff to higher performance and skill development.
- A strategic and detail-oriented thinker with the agility to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines; comfort leading within ambiguity.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in development or fundraising.
- Demonstrated success leading development/fundraising strategy including raising six and seven figure gifts.
- Experience working in the K-12 ecosystem both inside schools and inside or with partners supporting K-12 (talent providers, program providers, funders, other education non-profits) – preferred but not required.
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as:
- Traveling to offsite meetings – valid driver’s license and/or access to transportation when necessary;
- Functioning in office space — reaching file cabinets, filing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, making phone calls;
- Must be able to sit for up to two hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing.
Elevate 215 is an equal-opportunity employer with excellent benefits and an entrepreneurial, results-oriented work culture. Salary is commensurate with experience.